What's new

user router as switch/AP only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chenks

Regular Contributor
might be a bit of an odd question, but is it possible to put an RT-AX88U into a mode where it's just running as a switch and AP, and not as a router?
i'm in the process of moving over to using an opnsense router, but waiting on other kit to arrive before i complete the change (switches and APs).

as a stop-gap if i could put the RT-AX88U into a mode where it just runs as a switch an AP then that would help (ie no routing, DHCP functions at all).

Administration, Operation Mode:

1671532610118.png

You have to read the User Manual.

well the GUI says AP mode, it doesn't say the 8 port ethernet switch is also active. the GUI also suggest "mesh router mode" and i don't want router mode at all, hence asking the question here.

oh, and i have to read the user manual do i? :rolleyes: there was me thinking i'd tap into the knowledge of those more in the know!

well the GUI says AP mode, it doesn't say the 8 port ethernet switch is also active.
Out of curiosity, what makes you think the network ports would not be active in Access Point (AP) mode? The Asus support article on AP mode makes several references to using "wired connections".
[Wireless Router] How to set up operation mode- Access Point(AP) mode?

Edit to add: Pretty much the main reasons for AP mode is to use an AP router extend the network from a main router to allow the use the AP's wired ports and wireless in another location. AP mode disables certain features like; DHCP server, firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions on the AP router.

Last edited:
knowledge of those more in the know

When using home router in AP mode to OPNsense router/firewall you won't have Guest Network separated from main LAN/WLAN. It's done using VLAN on OPNsense, but home routers have no VLANs support. You need better AP to take advantage of available options in OPNsense.

When using home router in AP mode to OPNsense router/firewall you won't have Guest Network separated from main LAN/WLAN. It's done using VLAN on OPNsense, but home routers have no VLANs support. You need better AP to take advantage of available options in OPNsense.

read what i said in the second line of my opening post.

To sum it up….. your RT-AX88U will work in AP mode and the network ports are active and usable.

@Tech9 was just being helpful in pointing out that while you can enable guest wifi on the RT-AX88U, it will not isolate the guest wifi from the rest of your network.

read what i said in the second line of my opening post.

You´ve got the answer, so it would be nice of you to be thankful... ---SIGH---

This is what I read in your opening post - you'll be having fun times with OPNsense if you can't figure out home router options. Good luck!

opnsense is running perfectly fine, so no luck is required.
i asked a question about a setting due to ambiguity in the wording used. what you did was try to be an butt about it, nice try though, but you'll need to pick on another sucker as this one is the wrong target if you want to do down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!