What's new

usernames under "VPN SERVER" tab are weird

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vincent

New Around Here
Hi guys, I have a problem about setting username of VPN service. If I switch the button of "Enable VPN server", then the username looks weird.
dcfqxs.jpg

I check the username under the /tmp/ect/passwd.openvpn, it's fine. So I guess it could be a webpage bug.

If I click these cells, then the usernames will disappear. When I refresh the web page, then these usernames will show up again.

Hi guys, I have a problem about setting username of VPN service. If I switch the button of "Enable VPN server", then the username looks weird.
dcfqxs.jpg

I check the username under the /tmp/ect/passwd.openvpn, it's fine. So I guess it could be a webpage bug.

If I click these cells, then the usernames will disappear. When I refresh the web page, then these usernames will show up again.

Vincent, when you post, always tell which router you have and used FW version.
Otherwise nobody can help.

General remark: Did you do a factory reset after the firmware flash?
After that, did you reconfigured your settings manually or did you restore a saved config file?

dcfqxs.jpg

Similar issue on http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17271&page=24

Didn't find a solution yet.

This usually occurs if you use certain characters in either the username or the password which will mess up the web interface. And since Asus stores that data into the document DOM, it can get quite easily garbled then.

Vincent, when you post, always tell which router you have and used FW version.
Otherwise nobody can help.

General remark: Did you do a factory reset after the firmware flash?
After that, did you reconfigured your settings manually or did you restore a saved config file?

Thank you for reply, I did do factory reset and all the settings are reconfigured manually.

My Router is Asus RT-AC68U and I'm running 374.42_2 .

This usually occurs if you use certain characters in either the username or the password which will mess up the web interface. And since Asus stores that data into the document DOM, it can get quite easily garbled then.

Hi Merlin, thank you for the idea. Is it possible that I can edit the asp file and replace it? Or how can I clear the document DOM?

Hi Merlin, I find out that if the password starts by numbers like "123456" "2345678" then it will mess up. But if starts by alphabet like "x123456" then it is fine.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Hi Merlin, I find out that if the password starts by numbers like "123456" "2345678" then it will mess up. But if starts by alphabet like "x123456" then it is fine.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Yes, that is one of the issues someone reported a while back.

Asuswrt's webui is just very poorly implemented. It's very fragile to this kind of issues, and unfortunately it would probably need to be redesigned nearly from the ground up to resolve those numerous issues appearing left and right where using some specific characters in the wrong places, which flat out break the webui.

Last edited:
Is it possible that I can edit the asp file and replace it?
If the problem occurs with PPTP server (my guess it does, because I don't see "admin" login there) then you can simply check pptpd_clientlist in nvram and clear it if necessary:
Code:
nvram show | grep pptpd_clientlist

+1 to this pug, I have never posted this, but it really exists. My PPTP password is also begins with a number

Yes, that is one of the issues someone reported a while back.

Asuswrt's webui is just very poorly implemented. It's very fragile to this kind of issues, and unfortunately it would probably need to be redesigned nearly from the ground up to resolve those numerous issues appearing left and right where using some specific characters in the wrong places, which flat out break the webui.

Thank you very much Merlin.

I just wanted to note that I just switched to the latest Merlin build again from 5656 and the open vpn settings look like they were wiped out. Like the user names and passwords are missing until you select ppt vpn service then the open vpn settings show up. Connecting to the vpn server from my ipad and phone works still though as we'll