What's new

using 2925N as a managed switch and AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forum_vimes

New Around Here
I currently have two ISPs on two totally separate networks 1: 2925N and 2: consumer ADSL modem router.

I am powerlining the 2925N to an unmanaged switch which then connects via wired ethernet to some computers in set A.

Fibre ISP --- 2925N -- ethernet port 1 --- powerline --- unmanaged switch --- Set A computers

Set B computers connect to the consumer ADSL modem router via wifi. So Set A and set B are physically seperated.

I want to be able to use the powerline for additional Set B computers (Set B2) via wifi. Set B2 computers are too far away from the consumer ADSL modem router.

I am thinking of getting the DrayTek Vigor 2862ac ADSL/VDSL 802.11ac Wireless Router and set up dual wan and vlans to prevent set A and B communicating. So:

2 ISPs (1 adsl and 1 fibre) --- 2862 ac --- ethernet port 1 --- powerline --- managed access point --- Set A (ethernet) and Set B2 (wifi) on separate VLANs

Can I use my 2925N as the managed access point? Will it take the VLAN tags the 2862ac provides?

My alternative is to do a mesh network for network 2 and keep it all physically separate but I like the idea above if it works.

If it helps, you can configure powerline adapters so they use different virtual networks over the same mains wiring, a sort of VLAN.

All that is normally required is to set the "Network Name" or NMK (the default is "HomePlugAV"). Check the documentation for your adapters.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!