What's new

Using a fiber modem in bridge with an Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EeK

Regular Contributor
I had to replace my RT-AC87U after I was no longer able to access its settings. I tried everything, including different ways of factory resetting it, but it wouldn’t even enter “Rescue Mode”. So, I purchased an RT-AC86U to use in conjunction with my ISP’s Fiberhome GPON ONU (Model: AN5506-02-FG).

Back when the AC87U was still working, I had the ONU in bridge mode, with the router doing all the work. After the router died, I asked my ISP to revert their ONU to NAT (since I was no longer able to access its GUI myself, through the local network) until I had the AC86U in my hands.

Now that the AC86U is here, and already flashed with Merlin’s latest firmware and properly configured, I need help changing the ONU back to bridge mode. Asking my ISP to do that would take at least two business days, and tomorrow’s a holiday here, so I don’t want to wait for something I can do myself (now that the ONU is working as a router, I can access its GUI without any issues).

The ONU’s GUI has basically two main settings listed under the “Network” tab: “Broadband Settings” (which opens “Internet Settings”) and “DHCP Server” (which opens “DHCP Service”).

Under “Broadband Settings > Internet Settings”, there’s “Connection Type”, that is currently set to “Route” and can be changed to “Bridge”. That makes most settings in that page disappear, including “PPPoE Mode”, where the ISP’s default settings are listed.

The only remaining settings in that page would be “VLAN ID” (a number between 1 and 4094), “Priority” (currently set to 1, with a range of 0-7), “LAN Binding” (LAN 1 and 2 checked, with 3 and 4 greyed out, as the ONU only has 2 LAN ports) and “2.4G SSID Binding” (only SSID 1 checked, with 2, 3 and 4 left unticked).

Under “DHCP Server > DHCP Service”, there’s “Type”, which can be changed from “Server” to “Disable”, making all other settings in that page disappear.

My questions:
  1. Do I simply have to change “Connection Type” from “Route” to “Bridge”, leaving all other settings in that page at their default values and not messing with the DHCP “Type”? Or do I first disable DHCP and then switch to bridge mode?

2. As I mentioned, I didn’t have access to the ONU’s GUI when it was in Bridge mode. Is there any way to change that? Is it related to the fact that the DHCP server setting is separate from bridge and, most likely, not automatically disabled?

3. Do I have to manually configure PPPoE in the AC86U or does it automatically “get” those settings from my ISP? I didn’t have any PPPoE settings (username and password) defined in my old AC87U, but have no idea how the ONU was configured, as I couldn’t see its settings.
Screenshots of the screens I mentioned, from SetupRouter.com:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!