1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Using a rt-n16 as a public ftp router

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by gwopman, Jun 24, 2018.

1. gwopman

gwopman Occasional Visitor

I was wondering about doing this so i dont have to put my main router at so much risk. Worth it or no?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

When setting up a server that will be accessible from the internet the primary consideration will always be security. Given that the firmware on the RT-N16 hasn't been updated in over a year and who knows how long ago the FTP server was updated, it would seem a bad choice.

Running a public FTP server on your network's firewall device (router) is also not desirable. You could run it on a dedicated server. Almost any hardware would do provided it's actively being kept up to date with security fixes.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Pi's work good for this - sftp is part of OpenSSH, which is part of Raspbian by default...

Configure OpenSSH (fairly simple), and all is good...

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!