What's new

Using a WiFi network monitor, and it shows number of clients for some routers - is there any way to turn it off?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gnome10

Occasional Visitor
Hi, folks, I'm pulling my hair out, and I don't have much left.

I recently noticed that in Inssider (ver 5.5, free version), it lists the number of clients attached to some wifi networks, including mine. I really don't want that information broadcast by my router (if that's what's happening), if it's at all possible to stop it.

I have used every search terms imaginable on google, for hours, and since the terms are so generic, closely related to other matters (like clients internal to the network, or trying to hide an SSID - which I'm not trying to do), I can't find anything discussing how Inssider is detecting this number. Is it in the router's beacon frame with the SSID? I've searched through all the relevant Asus menus, in my router setup, and I can't find anything that sounds remotely related to a setting to disable it.

The only thing I found buried in the manual for the software is that it's only supported for certain router manufacturers.

Your help would be most appreciated!

While Inssider may have just got that feature, I'm sure that information was already there for the taking (using other methods).

If you don't want that info being broadcast, the only option is to unplug your wireless router. And use wired connections only.

While Inssider may have just got that feature, I'm sure that information was already there for the taking (using other methods).

If you don't want that info being broadcast, the only option is to unplug your wireless router. And use wired connections only.

Thanks for your response. The feature could have been there for years, reporting the # of clients, but if it was, I simply never noticed it. I did the other day because I was trying to figure out something else.

Inssider can't tell how many clients are connected to about 85% of the neighborhood routers that I can see. So, like I said, it has something to do with extra info they can access from manufacturers like Asus. They specifically list all the manufacturers in their manual. That makes me suspect it's something I could possibly disable.

With all due respect, it's simply not practical to go without wifi. That's simply not a solution. I have everything that can be on the wired LAN, on the wired LAN.

I have used every search terms imaginable on google, for hours, and since the terms are so generic, closely related to other matters (like clients internal to the network, or trying to hide an SSID - which I'm not trying to do), I can't find anything discussing how Inssider is detecting this number. Is it in the router's beacon frame with the SSID?

It's pulling it from the BSS Load element in the Beacon Frame...

Not much to worry about.

It's pulling it from the BSS Load element in the Beacon Frame...

Not much to worry about.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Does every router broadcast this info, or just some? Is there any way to disable it, or is it basically Asus's firmware default?

I'm not worried, per say, I just don't want my neighbors seeing how many devices I have on my wifi. Also, in general, I think it's a bad idea to highlight how many wifi devices are on a network, because if someone's looking to hack a residence, and they see 50+ wifi devices, yeah we might have that many, it looks like a potentially fruitful environment to look for various devices with weak security. Does that make sense? I keep everything up-to-date (firmware), but still, there are seemingly endless exploits on various smart devices.

Knowing how many devices are on a wlan isn't a security issue - having strong passphrases solves that problem.

Knowing how many devices are on a wlan isn't a security issue - having strong passphrases solves that problem.

I appreciate what you're saying, and I can assure you I've locked down my WiFi with the best security protocol, ridiculously long Wifi passwords, strong router Admin login, and both my routers have extensive security add-ons - which I use. I keep all firmware current. It's definitely not the low-hanging fruit in this neighborhood, or any.

Let's consider my concern with the clients being reported a privacy issue. I just don't want that info obvious for anyone on a wifi monitor, even if an actual pro could still figure it out. I assume since you haven't mentioned that it's a router setting I can control, that it's not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!