What's new

Using AiMesh + Different AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkgiants

Occasional Visitor
I have two RT-AC68U's where both are set up in an AiMesh system (wired) that works flawlessly. I am trying to get some WiFi coverage in a specific area of my home, however, I do not have access to an extra AiMesh compatible device to hook up to my mesh system. I do however have access to a TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 router. I was thinking of setting up this TP-Link router in Access Point mode (wired). I wanted to ask, is adding a non-AiMesh device as an AP to my network okay (in terms of stability)? Also, are there optimal settings I should do to make sure this setup works with my existing AiMesh system? I know with AiMesh things such as roaming works flawlessly for my clients, however, I am not sure if I can be introducing issues by adding a separate AP.

If simply relocating your existing node isn't an option to light up that area with the Wi-Fi signal you want, then adding the TP-Link as an AP shouldn't cause problems. But it would be a poor second choice.

If simply relocating your existing node isn't an option to light up that area with the Wi-Fi signal you want, then adding the TP-Link as an AP shouldn't cause problems. But it would be a poor second choice.

The area where I am trying to extend WiFi coverage is a bit far out so unfortunately positioning the nodes wouldn’t really help. However, I am curious if the RT-AC66U for $15 or $20 used makes sense as AiMesh modes? I see them for this much and I believe they do support both Merlin and AiMesh

Unless you're talking about the RT-AC66U_B1 model, no they don't (that would be why they are so inexpensive too).

How far is 'a bit far out'? How big is your home in SqFt? Have you tested any other placements? Think creatively (think how RF would...). When all else fails, simply test a few positions and make a few notes to have when you can compare the tradeoffs and benefits of each location with different client devices you may normally use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!