What's new

Using cheap DirecTV DECA adapters instead of expensive MOCA gear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

koan00

Occasional Visitor
Since I haven't seen it mentioned here too much, I just wanted to write a quick post about a recent success story getting my sisters detached garage wired up cheaply using DECA adapters.

Her wifi was not reaching a detached garage she had converted into a studio apartment/guest house. We tried powerline adapters I had lying around, and the signal just wouldn't make it over to the garage.

I then recalled she had an unused/buried coaxial cable running from the main house to the detached garage. I looked into the normal MOCA based adapters and was a bit surprised to see how expensive they were.

I use DirectTV at home and done the DECA hookup myself, so after a bit of thinking, I recalled the DECA adapters. I also recalled how they were dirt cheap on ebay (less that $10 each). I did a bit of research and figured it was worth a shot. Sure enough it worked great. Obviously the DECA units wont work if they have to share a line with a CableTV signal, but they work great on unused lines (and most newer types of directv boxes).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!