What's new

Using existing old COAX wiring for PoE Security camera

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexbc

Regular Contributor
Hi,

In our new home, we have an OLD security camera system which used COAX for analog video, and the wiring exists which I wanna convert to PoE. In particular, I wanna do the following:

- Coax wire going from inside the garage to the outside front door old security camera
- Replace old security camera with PoE IP Camera
- Router located in garage
- Connect Router --> PoE Switch --> Ethernet cable --> Coax Cable routed already --> PoE Camera

What do I need to accomplish this? Do I need TWO MoCA converters on each side? Can I use only one? Would MoCa also work for PoE?

Can I use one of these at one end? Amazon.com: RF to RJ45 Converter Adapter F Female to RJ45 Male Coaxial Barrel Coupler Adapter Connector Coax Straight Connector () : Electronics

Thanks

Those are not usable. they are 50 ohm impedance. MOCA requires 75 ohm. Those are just for line testing.

You will have to check the moca adapter specifications to see if it will pass DC current. If it does not say, for example: DC to 850 MHz pass through, then NO, what you have in mind will not work.

Those are not usable. they are 50 ohm impedance. MOCA requires 75 ohm. Those are just for line testing.

You will have to check the moca adapter specifications to see if it will pass DC current. If it does not say, for example: DC to 850 MHz pass through, then NO, what you have in mind will not work.

Thanks, so I need TWO MoCa units, right? If so, would it pass PoE?

If not, I guess one other option is to just route the data, and when it comes out as ethernet, put a PoE switch there to give it enough power for the camera.

I would also look at adapters that allow you to use coax for Ethernet connections. MOCA isn't required in your case as you are not sharing the COAX with video.

Never used this type of adapter however they seem to be less expensive than MOCA adapters.

I would also look at adapters that allow you to use coax for Ethernet connections. MOCA isn't required in your case as you are not sharing the COAX with video.

Never used this type of adapter however they seem to be less expensive than MOCA adapters.

Could you share which adapters are they exactly? I haven't seen anything online that matches such description.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!