What's new

Using EXT4 partition as minidlna database

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leon

Regular Contributor
Hi,

My RT68U just gave-up on me, and in the process, killed by USB drive. I now have a new RT-86U and need some help to setup my USB.

I recall I used to have stability issue with media on the drive. I read a recommendation to partition my USB to two partitions, 1 as EXT2/3/4 and another as NTFS. I also recall I need to do some setup for the router to use the EXT2/3/4 as some kind of TOC, and the media content stays on the NTFS partition. I search the forum extensively but could not locate the post. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the amtm utility is now built into the firmware. So if you SSH into the router and type that command you will have an option to format the disk (i > fd) as required. During this process you can give each partition a volume label.

I believe the amtm utility is now built into the firmware. So if you SSH into the router and type that command you will have an option to format the disk (i > fd) as required. During this process you can give each partition a volume label.

#ThisIsTheWay

Thanks, and that is not my question. I know how to partition my HD, and have created an small EXT partition.

I like to know how can I force the media server to use my EXT partition instead of the NTFS partition.

I found what I am looking for... but it no longer works.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/minidlna-with-ext3-usb-stick-and-media-on-ntfs.9965/

Here is what I did, according to the steps from the post.

Code:
My ntfs partition is called RTHDD. EXT4 partition is called minidlna

Turn off media server on Router

edit /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf to include the below lines
db_dir=/tmp/mnt/minidlna/minidlna
media_dir=/tmp/mnt/RTHDD/media

copy /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf to /jffs/configs/
copy /tmp/etc/minidlna.conf to /tmp/mnt/minidlna/configs/
nvram set dms_dbdir="/tmp/mnt/minidlna/minidlna"
nvram commit
reboot

After reboot and before I turn on Media Server, I did a check with
nvram get dms_dbdir and it returns
/tmp/mnt/minidlna/minidlna

Once I turn on Media Server, nvram get dms_dbdir returns
/tmp/mnt/RTHDD/.minidlna

What had happened?

I looked at syslog.log and it did show

Using custom /jffs/configs/minidlna.conf config file.

I also confirm /jffs/configs/minidlna.conf has
db_dir=/tmp/mnt/minidlna/minidlna

Thanks! This works!

For those that come after me, you ignore nvram get dms_dbdir. The folder returned is not the folder used for minidlna. the .minidlna folder is created but not used. The WebGUI may shows that the service is idle but it is actully running.