What's new

Using guest network feature behind a firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mk1 black limited

New Around Here
Hi, new here, but unable to find the answer to this problem I have with the RT-AC66U (probably not unique for this router by the way). Running .260 official firmware. To the case at hand:

I would like to use the routers guest network possibility, but I have a slightly more complex setup than what Asus reckoned with I guess. My setup is as follows:

Cable modem -> Zyxel USG200 FW port 1 (LAN1) -> LAN (192.168.1.x) with DHCP server -> RT-AC66U LAN-port
Zyxel USG200 FW port 6 (LAN2) -> RT-AC66U WAN-port (10.59.0.2)

When connected to the normal WLAN everything works fine, I can access all the other units on the LAN side and the Internet through the default gateway which is port 1 on the USG200.

When connected to a guest WLAN, 'nothing' works. I do not get an IP address from the DHCP server on my LAN. If I assign a static IP fot the computer I use I can ping the Asus, but that's it.

So, two problems I guess:

1. How to get my internal DHCP server (w2008r2) to assign IP-addresses to the clients on the guest WLAN
2. What static routes are needed to make the traffic on the guest WLAN be routed throught the WAN port on the ASUS, and not the LAN-ports.

Any help appreciated! ;-)

You have to relese your other (1st) ip-adress first and then try.

You have to relese your other (1st) ip-adress first and then try.

When you first assign IP to regulary Bridge then it's leased to 1st bridge.
You must relese before you can assign to guest bridge if you came from same hoost name.
That will be diplayed in hoost file.

octopus

I am not sure i understand your question.

Your Zyxel USG200f is your primary router and DHCP server. You have your AC66U as a secondary router. Have you set up the AC66U as a access point?

I think your problems is when you block network access for the guest SSID, you are blocking the first router and therefore blocking DHCP and DNS.

Have you tried setting up VLANS? I think it would be the best option.

It's hard to explain :)

OK, trying to clarify a bit: I have a LAN on the inside of the USG200. On the LAN I have a server which provides DNS and DHCP. In this LAN I need to have wireless access as well. I happen to have the Asus RT-AC66U (but that can be changed if need be). This provides the wireless access for my various peripherals just fine, but I also want to be able to use the guest network feature. All the while I need to keep everything else the same, i.e. I do not want to replace the USG200 with the RT-AC66U nor do I want to replace the server I have that provides DHCP and DNS.

Now, I have tried the RT-AC66U in both AP mode and Wireless Mode, both work fine as long as I don't try to use the guest mode.

Any clearer now? :)