What's new

Using Network Print Server on RT-AC68U - LPR switched to EZPrinter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Webmonger

New Around Here
I have been using the Network Print Server to share a HP LaserJet 1018 connected with USB2 to my RT-AC68U. In full disclosure I also have a USB drive attached to the USB3 port.

Okay so in short I just experienced something very odd where the installed printer driver on a Windows 7 machine using LPR over a TCP Port stopped functioning. I then discover that a legacy 1018 printer setup (using USB001 virtual USB port) that I had left installed from when the printer was directly plugged into the PC is now working!! I don't know how since the printer is not plugged into the PC.

I have been using the LPR setup on three machines without any issues for four months and all three stopped printing at the same time after I needed to reboot the router two days ago. So I investigate further and log into the router web interface and it does show the printer connected to USB2 with status "disabled". Yep more strangeness that I can print with it disabled. I also discover that the HP LaserJet 1018 appears as "Unspecified" on "Devices and Printers" and it was not there prior when the LPR was working. Only the machine with the USB001 printer setup can print the other two do not have this configuration.

So I conclude that this must be the Asus EZ Printer configuration. I had been using LPR because the 1018 is not listed as compatible with ASUS EZ printer. Four months ago I am fairly sure I attempted to use their EZ printer application on that PC just to see if it would work and it failed. So on that hunch I decide to run the EZ printer application on one of the other two machines and sure enough it discovers the router and printer and sets up a printer driver using USB001. This second machine can print now and I do the same thing on the third machine with same results.

Now all three machines can print using this new config using USB001 virtual USB port. That is the good news and sure I am happy.. but..

I am baffled as to how and why it is now working this way and the LPR approach does not work at all. Anyone understand this mystery? have a clue as to what is happening here? I am concerned that one day I will suddenly discover it has stopped working again or maybe LPR decides to be functioning and the EZ Printer does not etc.

I installed the latest Asus router software ( 380_3264) three weeks ago. Prior to that I was using 380_1842. Yes after installing 380_3264 I tested everything and the printer was working with LPR.

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!