What's new

Using NFC to whitelist MAC adresses.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MeinKrafft

New Around Here
Hey, total newb to networking and wanting to dip my toe in it with a little project. I would like to set up a network that would use NFC to authenticate a device for 24 hours. Essentially, let it connect, and after a certain time kick it out. I did a bit of digging on the internet and I found two possible ways to go about this.

The first would be with a hidden SSID and MAC address filtering. I would somehow need to update the MAC address whitelist with devices scanned by the NFC tag and assign it a timestamp or something that would trigger a deletion of the device.

The other way I found would be to create a captive portal and use this to limit and mess around with it as I may. This would require a bit more research on my part, but I'm sure that's not the hard part.

Are there other ways to go about this I may have missed? I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!