What's new

Using old Apple AirPort Extreme as backup drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jmcnyc

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS RT-AC3100 router. I used this to replace my old Apple AirPort Extreme. My Apple Extreme has 3TB of storage. I would like to use this storage as a backup target. Can I use this with the ASUS router, maybe the time machine feature? Any input?

I don’t see why it would not work. Though I have not tried it. I successfully ran 5 airport expresses for AirPlay for awhile till I purchased a couple 68u for nodes. I would occasionally use my extreme as a AP too in my Garage.
I use a disk attached to a Mac mini on my net for Time Machine now.

Would I just attach the Airport to the USB for the Asus modem? I can set the Airport up to act as a drive and not broadcast a wifi signal. Then I would assume I could just connect it via USB and see it as a target to support time machine.

You could try that. However ...

I think it may be best to put the TC as another part of the network.

Assign it an IP and let it be a stand alone appliance. Or allow it one from dhcp pool. I am a fan of static IP’s for as much as I can.

I personally would go this route so the TC can act as a buffer of sorts and keep all the heavy lifting of writing reading data verifying on the TC and off the router. The TC is already capable of handling this portion so why not use it. Thus Saving the processing power of the ASUS for net related activities. Even though that would includ getting the data to the TC I personally think it would be better. Just my 2 cents.

You would set the TC to not issue dhcp / NAT disabled. It could still get a dhcp address from the ASUS it should retrieve one that’s part of your network.

Then going this route you could still use it as an AP for Wi-Fi if needed. If you do use IT, then use same SSID and passphrase. You don’t need to currently. You can disable the Wi-Fi. Then if you ever need it to work as an AP you can. Just thinking about my past uses in this latter portion.

My suggestion would be to connect the AirPort Time Capsule to the ASUS RT-AC3100 using an Ethernet cable. Make sure you use the WAN Ethernet port of the AirPort Time Capsule, disabling its WiFi. Now your Mac(s) should see the AirPort Time Capsule hard drive as a resource for Apple's Time Machine.

Good point I didn’t say it. Problem with thinking in your head, having already done it. You forget the little details.

^ certainly use a Ethernet cable no questions asked.

Good point I didn’t say it. Problem with thinking in your head, having already done it. You forget the little details.

^ certainly use a Ethernet cable no questions asked.
:)

I have an ASUS RT-AC3100 router. I used this to replace my old Apple AirPort Extreme. My Apple Extreme has 3TB of storage. I would like to use this storage as a backup target. Can I use this with the ASUS router, maybe the time machine feature? Any input?

Sure - connect to the WAN port of the AP Extreme, put it in Bridge Mode in the Airport utility, and turn off the WiFi radios

Works great for TimeMachine backups - keep in mind that one can also have an external drive attached, and it'll be available, but it's limited to USB2 speeds (the TimeCapsule machines are all SATA based for the internal disks, and those disks can be upgraded to at least 4TB - standard 3.5 SATA drives pretty much work from Seagate and WD).

One other question. I have all Windows computers. I assume once I connect the Apple Airport drive (3TB) I can see it on the network and then use standard utilities to backup up my data. I checked the Time Machine feature on the Asus router and it seems like it is only for OSX

One other question. I have all Windows computers. I assume once I connect the Apple Airport drive (3TB) I can see it on the network and then use standard utilities to backup up my data. I checked the Time Machine feature on the Asus router and it seems like it is only for OSX

Time Machine is Apple Only...

If you use the Windows Airport Utility, you can turn on Samba, and use it as a shared drive...

My assembled Inland USB 3.0 HDD (WD Black 1TB) won't sleep on my RT-AC86U :(... but otherwise works. Most recent benchmark for Cobian Backup over SATA3 and Gigabit Ethernet is 115.08 GB (62,102 files) in 2 hours, 47 minutes, 22 seconds.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online