What's new

Using QOS and also a VPN client.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Hi

I have decided to try 384.19 with my AX88U. So I flashed the router and then reset it, and set up manually. I have given up with a single SSID and smart connect and so needed to spend time setting up separate SSID's for both radios. All done now.

I have installed a VPN client, with policy rules, so that my main PC is routed through the VPN tunnel, so far so good.

Then I have tried to use the Traffic Monitoring and the QOS (customised) service, to try and allow devices to stream video over that of file downloading.

download QOS.jpg

one thing tho I'm not sure of is that when I am downloading over NNTP, or anything else, it will show the download speed in the two meters, as shown above, as the upload..?????

I think that the classification is showing it ok....

ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-Classification.png

as that shows it classified (NNTP traffic) within the "work from home" class, but at least as a download.

I am hopeful that I can allow file transfers over NNTP or other traffic to have a lower priority over that of video streaming or web surfing. This is the first time that I'm attempting to prioritise traffic, just the QOS meters seeming to show download traffic as upload that is confusing me a little. Unless I'm understanding it wrongly.

Thanks

EDIT
Typically I find previously made posts about the same thing after I posted mine, even tho I really did look.....

It seems that combing the use of a VPN client and the QOS function causes the download to then show as upload.

Doesn't seem to have been fixed for so long that it's probably a feature by now.!

@RMerlin When you noted in another thread, first linked post, about pointing the issue out to Asus R&D for them to determine if it is a bug or not did you get a response, albeit going back several years.?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am hopeful that I can allow file transfers over NNTP or other traffic to have a lower priority over that of video streaming or web surfing.
You can give the FlexQoS script a try to allow customization of traffic through QoS.

The guy that supports it is kind of a dork, but it works well out-of-the-box for de-prioritizing NNTP from Work-From-Home to File Downloads.

But he's our 'dork' and we love him! :D

You can give the FlexQoS script a try to allow customization of traffic through QoS.

The guy that supports it is kind of a dork, but it works well out-of-the-box for de-prioritizing NNTP from Work-From-Home to File Downloads.

Thanks I appreciate the link.

Understood about the guy, just a heads up warning that there could be a feeble minded new subscriber to that seemingly wonderful addon, should be in good company :D

I will need to figure out how useful QOS is going to be whilst using a VPN client, with the download and upload both showing as "upload". Nothing shows as download traffic, within the tunnel.

@yorgi posted about it here, with pictures......

with pictures....

local traffic is fine, that outside the VPN tunnel. It is traffic within the tunnel which can compromise a QOS setup, when mixed with local traffic.

There are choices that I'll need to make.

Bizarre how it works tho, perhaps with their implementation of VPN fusion they might have changed that, considering they are now promoting a type of policy routing on their gaming routers. Interesting to see how that combines with QOS on the GT range.