What's new

Using RT-AC5300 firmware on GT-AC5300 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apoc

New Around Here
Has anyone tried the AsusWRT Merlin firmware for RT-AC5300 on the GT-AC5300 ? I want to know if it will work, or if/what gets broken, etc? Thanks in advance!

Really hope Merlin will support the GT-AC5300 in the future!

Asus's wonderful naming strikes again !

I seriously have no idea what they are thinking.

ExhibitA:
RT-AC5300 (dual core)
GT-AC5300 (quad core - different architecture)

ExhibitB:
RT-AC66U (single core)
RT-AC66U_B1 (dual core - actually AC68U made to fit AC66U housing)

ExhibitC:
RT-AC86U (faster than AC88U)
RT-AC88U

--

What the hell are you doing ASUS.

The naming isn't the least bit logical.

Why wouldn't this work better:
AC-66, 68
AC-76, 78
AC-86, 88
AC-96, 98

etc!

So if it's installed, it will totally break the router? Or it will just work partially, or what?

What in my answer did you not understand?

The devices are totally different the firmware will not install , you cannot run RT-AC5300 on the GT-AC5300 . End of story

Well, you guys are a welcoming bunch!

Read my first post:

Has anyone tried the AsusWRT Merlin firmware for RT-AC5300 on the GT-AC5300 ? I want to know if it will work, or if/what gets broken, etc?

My questions are very clear and concise. Then, I receive this answer:

No you can't do that the devices are totally different.

The answer doesn't specifically answer what I'm asking above. It's just a general answer with no details or direct answers.

And then when I ask for more details (like answers to my original questions), you guys act like I'm an idiot? Cool, real cool.

The answer doesn't specifically answer what I'm asking above.

AndreiV's answer actually precisely answered your question. You cannot flash the RT-AC5300 firmware on a GT-AC5300 because the hardware is totally different. Not sure what else you are expecting us to tell you beyond that.

AndreiV's answer actually precisely answered your question. You cannot flash the RT-AC5300 firmware on a GT-AC5300 because the hardware is totally different. Not sure what else you are expecting us to tell you beyond that.

My first question is if anyone had tried using the RT-AC5300 firmware on the GT-AC5300. He didn't answer this question.

My second question was if it will break anything, or work partially, or any details about this. He didn't directly answer this question, just an overall vague answer.

I was ok with his answer, and even appreciated that he took the time to post a reply.

But then when I asked for more details, all of a sudden I get replies that are less than kind and courteous. I don't think that was called for. Do you?

EDIT:

I want to add @RMerlin, huge thanks to you for your work on the Merlin AsusWRT firmwares. They have been a godsend to me, and I really want to thank you for your excellent work.

But, this is some history on the situation:

When checking your site for supported devices, it only says the AC5300 is supported. It doesn't say anywhere that the "GT" version of this router is NOT supported. So I bought the $400 router, with a specific purpose that requires the Merlin firmware.

Now, I'm stuck with this router, and desperately trying to figure out if there's anyway I can get what I need out of it, otherwise I have a $400 brick that's worthless to me. This is why I came on the forums. I'm even willing to pay for people's time, as you already know.

Now, I'm stuck with this router, and desperately trying to figure out if there's anyway I can get what I need out of it, otherwise I have a $400 brick that's worthless to me. This is why I came on the forums. I'm even willing to pay for people's time, as you already know.

If you have explained this situation in first post you probably wouldn’t have attracted all the negative comments.

How are you going to flash it? Via the Web GUI? It’ll probably tell you that there is a mismatch. If you want to force flash it via SSH, I’m not sure if the check there is sufficient to reject it, it might succeed. If you flash using TFTP, it’ll flash no problem.

But ALL of the above scenarios would probably result in a router stuck in a boot loop. Even if it actually manage to boot, wifi won’t work. So instead of having a $400 brick with stock but working firmware, you’d end up with the wrong firmware on the brick.

When checking your site for supported devices, it only says the AC5300 is supported. It doesn't say anywhere that the "GT" version of this router is NOT supported. So I bought the $400 router, with a specific purpose that requires the Merlin firmware.

Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:

• RT-AC66U_B1 (same firmware as the RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC56U
  • RT-AC68U (including revisions C1 and E1)
  • RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC87
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
  • RT-AC1900 (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC1900P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC86U (starting with version 382.1)

Merlin's page clearly and specifically states which models are supported.

You chose to buy some thing that is NOT on that list.

If you have explained this situation in first post you probably wouldn’t have attracted all the negative comments.

How are you going to flash it? Via the Web GUI? It’ll probably tell you that there is a mismatch. If you want to force flash it via SSH, I’m not sure if the check there is sufficient to reject it, it might succeed. If you flash using TFTP, it’ll flash no problem.

But ALL of the above scenarios would probably result in a router stuck in a boot loop. Even if it actually manage to boot, wifi won’t work. So instead of having a $400 brick with stock but working firmware, you’d end up with the wrong firmware on the brick.
Thank you for your post, lots of great info. Much appreciated!

Merlin's page clearly and specifically states which models are supported.

You chose to buy some thing that is NOT on that list.

It's pretty easy to confuse RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300... or maybe you just don't see that.

Feel free not to post in this thread in the future, it clearly won't have any positive outcome for anyone. Thanks.