What's new

Using script to switch from using ethernet to usb port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zachary

New Around Here
I wish to use the dual Wan with my 1+1gbps fibre broadband and at the same time have a 4g USB dongle as a failover. As the primary wan will be used for first 1gbps (eth0) and secondary wan used for second 1gbps (eth1) with load balancing enabled, I am not able to setup the 4g USB dongle (usb0) as a failover on the secondary wan. Therefore, I would like to write a script to check when primary and secondary wan are down, I will then assign secondary wan to the 4g USB dongle and restart secondary wan to activate 4g USB dongle. Then when wan 1 is up again, I will assign secondary wan back to the second 1gbps and restart secondary wan. Can I know if it is possible to write a script for it and can anyone point me to any documentation that allows me to do that, especially how I can switch secondary wan from eth1 to usb0?

Before you even start, Dual WAN failover doesn't work reliably in Asuswrt. The code is the same in Asuswrt-Merlin.

Thanks. I am already using load balancing as I have two 1gbps broadband. The issue is that both are from the same isp and maybe down at the same time so I wish to switch to 4g dongle when both 1gbps are down.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Asus dual WAN implementations either. Maybe it has improved recently. I went with a 2 router network solution instead. It overcome a CG-NAT limitation I had with one service also.