What's new

Using Telnet to change channels RT-68r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adroit

New Around Here
Hello all,

I am looking to use telnet to change the broadcast channels on both 2.4 and 5ghz on my RT-68R.

I have been able to get into telnet and use "nvram show" to get a list of what I thought was supposed to be all the variables you can manually set, but channel does not seem to be listed there. Am I looking in the wrong place or is channel not something you can set via telnet? Is there a table or list of commands floating around somewhere I haven't seen?

I copied all the output from "nvram show", changed the channels, copied all the new output, ran a comparison, and found nothing had changed except for the free space remaining.

Channels are configured through chanspec.

Code:
wl0_chanspec=11
wl1_chanspec=149/80

wl0 is 2.4 GHz, wl1 is 5 GHz. As you can see, the format isn't as straightforward as just a plain number. First one expects to know if it's using the lower or upper control channel. Second one expects to be told the channel bandwidth.

After changing channels, you need to restart the wireless stack:

Code:
service restart_wireless

OK that seems to have worked for the most part. Here is what I ended up running:
5ghz:"nvram set wl1_chanspec=161/40"
2.4ghz: "nvram set wl0_chanspec=11u"
"nvram commit"
"restart wireless"

"service restart_wireless" gives me a message stating "service" is an unknown applet.

And then it changes channels as expected! But both wl0 and wl1 give an error "vlan1: cmd=14: Operation not supported"? I did not setup any VLANS and thought this router did not even support that. What does that error mean?

OK that seems to have worked for the most part. Here is what I ended up running:
5ghz:"nvram set wl1_chanspec=161/40"
2.4ghz: "nvram set wl0_chanspec=11u"
"nvram commit"
"restart wireless"

"service restart_wireless" gives me a message stating "service" is an unknown applet.

And then it changes channels as expected! But both wl0 and wl1 give an error "vlan1: cmd=14: Operation not supported"? I did not setup any VLANS and thought this router did not even support that. What does that error mean?

You need my firmware to get the service applet, needed to restart services.

vlan1 is the Internet connection interface. No idea about that error message, it's too vague to give any real info.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!