What's new

using two Actiontec WCB3000N K routers as extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

etownster

New Around Here
I would like to know if two wireless Actiontec moca routers ( WCB3000N ) could serve as a wired extender. I have Xfinity internet service connected to an Arris SBG10 wifi modem router.
This router does not cover the house. I have been using plugin wifi extenders with some success. I would prefer to extend using a coax wired connection.

I plan to bridge using two WCB3000N wifi routers:

Xfinity incoming cable --->Arris Modem / WiFi router ---> ethernet cable ---> WCB3000N ---->coax cable run ----> WCB3000N -----> wireless devices (fireTV, phone ,etc).

I plan to disable the WiFi function of the first WCB3000N as not needed. Is there any reason this setup won't work or do I not understand the capacities of this wifi router?

I don't follow your answer. I asked specifically about the WCB3000N not AT6200. The connections I took pains to clearly spell out.
Why would I need another AP when the unit in question is a wireless AP?

It will work. While you need two MOCA devices one for each end and so unless you already own both WCB3000Ns you could use a less expensive ECB2500V which is just a MOCA terminal with no WiFi or router features.

The WCB3000N has both a 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz radio. It will give you decent speeds and given that they used to be available for cheap prices it is certainly worth a try. I set up a WCB3000N for my son several years ago but I don't remember the link rates on the Wifi or the data bandwidth.

Depending if you are using any Xfinity cable boxes sharing the coaxial you are planning to link to the WCB3000N you might have interference. Also be aware that you may need to replace any splitters that won't pass MOCA frequencies.

If the WCB3000N doesn't meet your needs then there are more current MOCA devices which are capable of gigabit data rates and if you attached an AC capable AP on the far end you would certainly get higher WiFi speeds but if you are only connecting smart phones and tablets to the AP it probably won't make a noticeable difference.

UPDATE: I just checked the WCB3000N that I had in my closet and the Ethernet ports are fast Ethernet. This means that under good conditions the speed between your WCB3000Ns would be slightly less than 100 Mbps and then your WiFi from the AP even using the 5 Ghz radio might be even less. Again this might work for you depending what devices you want to connect to the WCB3000 AP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. That confirms my plan for a low cost WiFi extension. (The WCB3000N run only $27 ea on Amaz.) I had tried powerline but my house wiring isn't compatible. I don't believe I'm "sharing" the coax . That is, I don't have cable TV from Xfinity nor splitters, just internet service. The only coax connection is the incoming service cable going to Xfinity's modem and the proposed "ethernet over Moca" extension as outlined above.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!