What's new

Using USB via AMTM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

Hello. I am having quite a time here (not too unusual....) formatting a USB drive for use with AMTM scripts. The drive is plugged into USB 3.0 (9RT-AX92U). I can format via AMTM it completes with no errors. Diversion installs with no errors, Skynet says it installs (5 seconds) however it fails upon running (no compatible USB partitions found).

I have tried 2 USB drives in both USB ports. I have enabled the option to use JFFS scripts. I have tried using the Asus format at the next boot option then trying to install Diversion seems to install ok. I also changed the USB modes trying both 2.0 and 3.0. Sometimes it will say no USB drive found.

I am stuck, any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Attempt #29.
Format via AMTM - success
install Diversion via AMTM - success
Install Skynet via AMTM - after a minute at create swap file the router quickly goes off/online and I am stuck at creating swap file
The light in the USB drive is no longer lit - yikes!

Install Skynet via AMTM - looks like a normal install., seems to run ok
gets stuck at Update malware list

Install Diversion - and it aborts at pixelserv-tls install failed
the USB light is on and the USB 3.0 icon is green in Asuswrt

Last edited:
If you haven't tried it already, there are general, but dated, instructions for setting up a USB drive at the following link that may help:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts.
  • If your USB drive is used, make sure to save all files off of it first
  • Format it in your computer with the NTFS file format
  • Insert the USB drive into a router USB port
  • Use your PuTTY skills above to SSH into the router
  • Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  • Using amtm's 'fd' command, format the USB drive to Ext4 with journaling and
  • Make sure to also Label the drive too. The router will reboot.
    • Note: MIPS routers are limited to ext2 and ext3
  • Create a swap file using amtm's 'sw' command. I recommend the 2GB size
    • Be patient while this file is created. It will be worth it
  • Using amtm's 'dc' command, enable the disk checker utility
  • Reboot the router and make sure to check the disk checker log to ensure the USB drive 'passes'
The router is now able to take advantage of the USB drive and the swap file we created on it to better manage the physical RAM it has and to always use as much as possible for the task(s) it is currently focused on.

Attempt #29.
Install Skynet via AMTM - after a minute at create swap file the router quickly goes off/online and I am stuck at creating swap file
The light in the USB drive is no longer lit - yikes!

3rd USB drive, the light stays on
FD from, AMTM - success
Install Skynet - success
Install Diversion - success
Install YazFi - success

Skynet will not load - usb not found
I re-inserted the drive and rebooted with no luck

If you haven't tried it already, there are general, but dated, instructions for setting up a USB drive at the following link that may help:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts.
  • If your USB drive is used, make sure to save all files off of it first
  • Format it in your computer with the NTFS file format
  • Insert the USB drive into a router USB port
  • Use your PuTTY skills above to SSH into the router
  • Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  • Using amtm's 'fd' command, format the USB drive to Ext4 with journaling and
  • Make sure to also Label the drive too. The router will reboot.
    • Note: MIPS routers are limited to ext2 and ext3
  • Create a swap file using amtm's 'sw' command. I recommend the 2GB size
    • Be patient while this file is created. It will be worth it
  • Using amtm's 'dc' command, enable the disk checker utility
  • Reboot the router and make sure to check the disk checker log to ensure the USB drive 'passes'
The router is now able to take advantage of the USB drive and the swap file we created on it to better manage the physical RAM it has and to always use as much as possible for the task(s) it is currently focused on.
I will try them thanks. In the past is was so much easier.

Instead of installing everything else, why not do the Skynet and Swapfile combo first?

I will try them thanks. In the past is was so much easier.
Double check the requirements for the scripts/services/add-on's you are trying to install. Some may/will require the use of a swap file on the USB drive. Also, as a troubleshooting step, install the add-on's one at a time to ensure the add-on is configured and working properly before installing another (or next) script/add-on.

Check the output of:
Code:
/bin/mount | grep -E "ext2|ext3|ext4|tfat|exfat"
This is how Skynet checks for compatible partitions.

3rd USB drive, the light stays on
FD from, AMTM - success
Install Skynet - success
Install Diversion - success
Install YazFi - success

Skynet says no usb drive is found. I have about had it for today.

Thanks for the help

Double check the requirements for the scripts/services/add-on's you are trying to install. Some may/will require the use of a swap file on the USB drive. Also, as a troubleshooting step, install the add-on's one at a time to ensure the add-on is configured and working properly before installing another (or next) script/add-on.
How do I totally erase any previously installed scripts that will not run? Skynet remains no matter how I format the drive (using fd or plugging into my pc) and I can't run it to uninstall it.

Remove /jffs/scripts/firewall and delete the Skynet entry in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

It removed fine. I was successful in installing Diversion, YazFi, and SCMerliin. When I tried to install Skynet it got stuck a the creating swap file part. I figure waiting for 5 minutes was enough. I tried to install it again, but unfortunately, I got the same result. I am making headway here.

It removed fine. I was successful in installing Diversion, YazFi, and SCMerliin. When I tried to install Skynet it got stuck a the creating swap file part. I figure waiting for 5 minutes was enough. I tried to install it again, but unfortunately, I got the same result. I am making headway here.
Any thoughts on perhaps swapping out your flash drive with something else? Just to test and make sure there isn't some kind of flaw on your current drive that's preventing it from operating correctly?

When I tried to install Skynet it got stuck a the creating swap file part. I figure waiting for 5 minutes was enough.
Creating the swap file can take much longer than 5 minutes, particularly if using a slow USB storage device.

Remove /jffs/scripts/firewall and delete the Skynet entry in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

I decided to send that router back and go back to my AX88U. I love the footprint of the AX92U however while the swap file for Skynet was being created the two CPU cores were both steady at 100% and used ram was steady at 95%.

A little underpowred if you are using any third party backed stuff.

thanks for the help!

Took half an hour to create swap file for me.

I think you are rushing it.

I suspect the “dd” command is being used to create the large swap file. It is the safest way and without Entware installed the only way.
Using “fallocate” available with Entware would reduce the time dramatically.
But, it is a one time thing so the wait is not a major problem.

Took half an hour to create swap file for me.

If you created a swap too big >2GB - it's useless.

If your USB drive is dead slow - the swap on it is useless.

I was playing with AGH a few days back on AX86U and creating 2GB swap on SanDisk Ultra Flair takes few minutes in USB 2.0 mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!