What's new

Using VPN for a single device - apple TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi folks - I have a VPN service and have successfully configured / tested the VPN connection from AU with the VPN server located in UK. I have checked that the server IP appears to be in the UK (good start).

My objective is to be able to switch/trick my appleTV to the UK settings/app store - so that I can:

1. update UK region specific apps (e.g BBC iPlayer) - I still pay my license fee but since switching to the AU store/region it is not working
2. watch UK TV through the iplayer app

So Ideally, I just want to route the appleTV through the VPN. Is this possible? If so how?

The other part of the situation is that most of the time I do not want to route the ATV through the VPN - as i'm usually watching AU content/services.

So i need a relatively easy way for me to do this.

Any help appreciated.

Skip down to the policy based routing part in that link. It allows you to route traffic for a specific device through the vpn. Just turn it on/off, or remove/add the ip to enable/disable as required.

I use this approach in my network, but have no idea if it works or not for apple products or if they have blocks in place so YMMV.

dosborne is right. There is no "automagic" / "easy" method to do this that I am aware of.
You will have to log into the gui and do what he suggested or spend some time to learn how to use the scripted process. There is a good script for selective routing clients that can be installed via AMTM (command line).

Thanks to you both. I think i will get it working using the amtm script (x3mRouting) as manual config looks a bit tricky.

Before i start, i have one question...

On the VPN client config page there is a setting to Force Internet traffic through tunnel. i'm assuming i need to set this to 'policy rules strict'. Is this correct or will x3mrouting overide this?

all working using x3mrouting with my appleTV (only) using the VPN.

I am using 'policy rules' as the setting for forcing traffic through the VPN.

What is the difference to the 'policy rules (strict)' setting?