What's new

Using WireGuard on a mobile phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I usually try not to forget to set my Android mobile to use WireGuard VPN when I'm using a public Wi-Fi (e.g., at my local Tesco supermarket). Just curious, but if I forget to turn it off when I return home, does it really matter? Yes, the speeds are a bit lower, but still perfectly acceptable. For instance, I've just run a speed test at home with the VPN on and got 85.36 Mbps down and 115.76 Mbps up, with a ping of 13 ms.

Wrong use of VPN server, but your phone won't catch fire.

If your phone is using Android you can use Tasker or Automate to automatically switch specific tunnel profile on and off depending on which WiFi network you're connected to.
iOS probably has the same capability.

Wrong use of VPN server, but your phone won't catch fire.
Yes, I realise that. It's not something I would normally do, but my concentration does slip sometimes.

If your phone is using Android you can use Tasker or Automate to automatically switch specific tunnel profile on and off depending on which WiFi network you're connected to.
That sounds promising. I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you.

iOS probably has the same capabil

I had a look at Automate, but I couldn't fathom out how to use it, so I uninstalled it. I didn't try Tasker because it doesn't come with a free trial. I'll just have to rely on my memory by the looks of things. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

I had a look at Automate, but I couldn't fathom out how to use it, so I uninstalled it. I didn't try Tasker because it doesn't come with a free trial. I'll just have to rely on my memory by the looks of things. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.
For Automate you have to download a workflow, there is in-app "store" of community-made workflows.
Automate is definitely not new user friendly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!