What's new

Verizon gigabit fios without verzon router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peste19

Occasional Visitor
I have installed the verizon fios gigabit service at my home, when the installer came, i asked him to connect a ethernet cable from the outside ont so i could use any router of my choosing.

Later on, I noticed i wasnt getting anywhere close to gigabit speeds, i was getting around 200mbs for download/upload. I knew first thing they were going to say was that i dont have a verizon router so they were going to blame my router. So i chose to connect my laptop directly to the ethernet that comes out of the ont(bypassing the router) and same speeds. So i called in and complained and they sent out a technician.

Technician showed up, tested with a verizon router and voila, close to gigabit speeds, I felt like an idiot.

Conclusion of the story and my question, do i need a verizon router to fully receive their speed? Are their certain settings on my router that i need to configure or does this service really only fully work with their router?

I currently have an Asus rt-acc66u

Last edited:
I have installed the verizon fios gigabit service at my home, when the installer came, i asked him to connect a ethernet cable from the outside ont so i could use any router of my choosing.

Later on, I noticed i wasnt getting anywhere close to gigabit speeds, i was getting around 200mbs for download/upload. I knew first thing they were going to say was that i dont have a verizon router so they were going to blame my router. So i chose to connect my laptop directly to the ethernet that comes out of the ont(bypassing the router) and same speeds. So i called in and complained and they sent out a technician.

Technician showed up, tested with a verizon router and voila, close to gigabit speeds, I felt like an idiot.

Conclusion of the story and my question, do i need a verizon router to fully receive their speed? Are their certain settings on my router that i need to configure or does this service really only fully work with their router?

I currently have an Asus rt-acc66u

The AC66U should be at least good enough to handle around 800mbps (wired).

You sure you don’t have QoS enabled? Did you perform a factory reset on the router?

No you don’t need there router for internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did some research and i see that you need FA to achieve these speeds? Can anyone confirm?

I also tested when i do a speed test my router cpu jumps close to max

So i chose to connect my laptop directly to the ethernet that comes out of the ont(bypassing the router) and same speeds.

^^^^^This is the key sentence of his post ^^^^^

A computer connected directly should always have the same or better speed than when connected through a router. I would have the tech come back out and get the connection working at full speed with a computer connected directly.

The AC66U is going to have a tough time with higher speeds. It is a single core device and I'm not sure if it supports FA in addition to CTF. If it does have FA capability then 800 Mbps as previously mentioned could be possible. I also suggest starting with a firmware update to current and a factory reset AFTER the update. You also might want to search the site for verizon fios gigabit as there may be some special settings that you need to configure on the router.

So i decided to buy a new router, i bought the asus GT-AC5300 at half the price however i am having dificulty finding the options to enable cut though and/or flow acceleration, does anyone one where this might be?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!