What's new

Verizon ONT - Working with COAX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RangerZ

Regular Contributor
I have a 90's era condo, no Ethernet in the walls. The Verizon ONT is in the basement and the COAX is connected thru a splitter to very old (Wireless N) Verizon router up in the living-room and other places.

I wish to replace the router with a newer, non Verizon, AC or AX router. TV is involved, so I think Moca is currently in play, but the Verizon cable box (MOT QIP7232 / A386 / 014 / 500) has an Ethernet connection. If the Cable box can be reconfigured for Ethernet, then I am thinking that I can use a pair of Powerline adapters to connect the new router via "Ethernet" to the Mot?

Access to the ONT is in a corner of the basement. I can easily get to the ONT and connect Ethernet to a router, but the location in the basement is sub-optimal. I would rather it upstairs, but the only existing cable is COAX, and I do not know how or if I can use a COAX from the ONT to a "widget" to the WAN of the router.

Can I use a Pair of Power line adapters, one near the ONT and one central in the dwelling, to pass the WAN? I would like to think its transparent, but I know these devices "play" with the signal and not sure if this is an issue. This method would allow me to optimally place the router. I would still need a wireless repeater to get Ethernet to the Cable box or to a MoCa adapter to the Cable box.

Service is 75\75 and the old N gets about 50 up close. The real issue is at distance in the condo. It's in the low teens in some places.

Looking at a TP-Link One mesh router and powerlines for HW ATM. Not objecting to Moca, but not really used it.

Open to other alternatives and ideas. My experiece is all cable modem.

The solution that would retain your existing MoCA WAN connection would be following the appropriate DSLReports instructions for converting the old FiOS router to function strictly as a bridge for the WAN connection, or using an Arris MEB1100 at the router location to handle the MoCA WAN link. (I suspect the IP release step for the old FiOS router would remain critical in the MEB1100 alternative.)

You may require an additional MoCA adapter at the router location to support MoCA LAN connections.

Many other possibilities, but keeping it simple for now.

Last edited:
Access to the ONT is in a corner of the basement. I can easily get to the ONT and connect Ethernet to a router, but the location in the basement is sub-optimal.
Short of installing new cabling, the solution offering the most headroom for growth is installing the new router where it can be Ethernet-connected to the ONT, and then using MoCA (2.5, ideally) for extending the router’s LAN to where needed (and coax connectivity allows).

Thanks for your insight. A lot to digest and re-read.

So if I choose option 4, and add a MoCA adapter (Router LAN => MoCA Etherent then COAX => STB) does this restore the missing VOD and\or Guide?

We have a Motorola QIP7232/A386/014/500. Do you know if the can be run off the Ethernet port as opposed to COAX? If yes, what about VOD and\or Guide? Can not find a manual

So if I choose option 4, and add a MoCA adapter (Router LAN => MoCA Etherent then COAX => STB) does this restore the missing VOD and\or Guide?
Yes, a stand-alone MoCA adapter can be used to support MoCA LAN connections, as required by FiOS STBs, in the absence of the function being built-in to the router. If you review the DSLReports page, I believe VOD and Guide are supported, but you’d lose Caller ID.

Last edited:
Option 4 does not include the MoCA adapter so I read it as you were adding the device and some level of functionality. As written option 4 does not support VOD or Guide. Caller ID is NBD.

One STB, no plans to expand. Not seeing the value in buying a MoCa 2.5 for the one device. Will the MEB-100 or NIM-100 mentioned in the DSL reports pages both work in this application? (75/75 service)

As written option 4 does not support VOD or Guide.
Right, thus the need to add a MoCA adapter at the router to provide the MoCA/Ethernet LAN bridge.

For simplicity, I’d lean towards an Arris MEB1100 for the MoCA WAN link and some retail MoCA adapter to function as the MoCA LAN bridge, allowing the FiOS router to be eliminated from the setup. (Otherwise, exactly how you’d configure the FiOS router and whether there would be limitations is dependent on the specific router model and revision, which hasn’t been cited.)

So I ended up taking the low road with a Verizon G1100 and a WCB6200Q AP for short money. The G1100 alone pretty much resolves the issue. She now gets 60\60 Mbps at her desk at the opposite corner of the same floor. The AP is setup upstairs in the bedroom, but she is not sure she will keep it connected.

I configured both with the same SSIDs. Not clear if there will be an issue with devices NOT roaming (iPad, phone). 2.4 G is teens almost every where, not sure it's even as good as the old device. It is used for some 2.4 only IOT.

For simplicity, I’d lean towards an Arris MEB1100 for the MoCA WAN link and some retail MoCA adapter to function as the MoCA LAN bridge,
So out of curiosity, can 2 MEB100's together. I do not understand why I need to get a different device for the MoCa LAN bridge?

Thanks for your help and advice.

So out of curiosity, can 2 MEB100's together.
I can't comprehend this.

As for:
I do not understand why I need to get a different device for the MoCa LAN bridge?
This is because the thread had been operating off your initial statement...
I wish to replace the router with a newer, non Verizon, AC or AX router.
... rather than using a Verizon G1100, which supports both a MoCA WAN connection and MoCA LAN bridging. If using the G1100 as your main router, it has built-in MoCA LAN support, as you've found by getting the WCB6200Q connected over the coax.

Yeah, my bad. I was very unclear. I changed perspective and did not say so.

The condo is totally sorted, though not the way I originally had envisioned. Thank you!

Generically, I am trying to understand MoCA devices by themselves, most are relativity price for a pair, and the latest tech supports (on paper) 2.5 Gbps, which is IMHO, overkill for any home application. The older tech, like the MEB100, are V 1.1 (or so) and probably in practice can support a few hundred or more Mbps. They can be had for short money. I am interested in buying something for the "lab" to play with. (Condo was actually a fiends, I have a reasonable understanding of traditioanl networking with a basic modem, but now learning integrating with ISP supplied infrastructure is more challenging)

I expect that a pair of stand alone MoCA devices (or a single device and a MoCa enabled Router\Gateway) should be capable of functioning at either end of a COAX cable to pass Ethernet. I see that very few of these have more than a single Ethernet port. So I am not clear if the MEB100 can also function as the MoCA WAN connection based on this discussion, and if this should be true of any 2 MoCa devices.

I also am of the impression that not all MoCa devices play well together (like the Tivo adapter), but using any matched pair in isolation should pass Ethernet like a pair of Power-line Adapters (but hopefully faster)

i use a pair of GOCoax 2.5g modems to pass ethernet between my ATT FTTH ONT and my ATT router BGW210.
Full gigabit up/down ( 940Mbit ), transparent between the ONT and the Router as it should be.