What's new

Vertical mounting possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rico567

New Around Here
I'm strongly considering the RT-N66U, but it's 11 x 14 footprint is quite large for the shelf I have devoted to my network equipment (and it's not simple, because all the 10Base-T is pulled to that spot). Is it possible to mount this thing vertically?

Not sure about the mounting question, but I think you have the size wrong. The 11x14 sounds like the size of the box in which it comes, not the router itself.

N66U footprint is 8.1" x 5.86" x 1.38" (WxDxH). Including the antennas, the height is 6.5".

Amazon gives these dimensions:

Product Dimensions: 11 x 3.5 x 14 inches ; 1.8 pounds

Of course, maybe they got the measurements of the packaging by mistake :rolleyes:

I mounted mine vertically but did notice a signal drop. It's hard to position the antennas optimally, or maybe I just never got it right. YMMV.

I mounted mine vertically but did notice a signal drop. It's hard to position the antennas optimally, or maybe I just never got it right. YMMV.

I've had my router vertical, using the stand, since I bought it, it runs cooler that way. And it takes up a lot less space. Yes, you do have to play with the antennas, which isn't too hard using a laptop with inSSIDer or an Android phone with a network analyzer app. I'd be surprised if you have the antennas positioned optimally for both router orientations, vertical and horizontal, and saw a difference in signal strength due to router orientation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!