What's new

Very poor 2.4Ghz performance in AIMESH setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BingoBonzo

New Around Here
I have an AIMESH setup with 4 RT-AX92U (one of these are Aimesh Router) and 2 RT-AC68U.

I receive constantly poor performance on the 2.4Ghz net, while 5Ghz performs well.
I have contacted ASUS support, they just wanted me to deliver the units for service,
did want to troubleshoot or find the cause at all. I don't believe it is a HW problem.

2.4Ghz is at 1/5 to 1/10 of the 5Ghz capacity, tested many times and in different locations

Will highly appreciate tips and pointers to help solve this!

My setup is roughly like this:
- Dedicated Wireless Backhaul 5Ghz
- Approx 15-18 clients (phones, tv, pc's, etc), no real heavy load on either bands
- Latest firmware on all routers, all reset after latest FW and then Mesh was created
- Smart Connect Off
- Fixed channel 20Mhz
- Wireless Mode = N Only
- Fixed Control Channel = 6, just my clients and a couple of others in this channel
(I have tried to change channel and test, same results)
- Roaming assistant = On
- Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming = Off
- RT-AX92U FW = 3.0.0.4.384_8697-g4c0773e
- RT-AC68U FW = 3.0.0.4.385_20433-g3f7796b
- Internet up/down 500Mbs/500Mbs via fiber
- Live in house with wooden walls, two floors, all testing done without obstacles to router
- Distance between routers approx 5-10meters

Last edited:
- Distance between routers approx 5-10meters

How many routers are broadcasting Wifi? Obviously, 6 routers is way too much. Did you have the trouble with just one, then two routers operating?

Are you using USB 3.0 Mode on the router?

OE

How many routers are broadcasting Wifi? Obviously, 6 routers is way too much. Did you have the trouble with just one, then two routers operating?

Are you using USB 3.0 Mode on the router?

OE

All 6 routers are part of the AIMESH network, is that to many? I have not tested with fewer nodes.

Not using any USB devices on any of the nodes/router

All 6 routers are part of the AIMESH network, is that to many? I have not tested with fewer nodes.

Not using any USB devices on any of the nodes/router

Too many for what? I can connect to my one 86U 2.4 band up to nearly 1/4 mile away, albeit slow.

Review the specs for your routers... one router generally covers a large or very large home. So, you setup one and then add one, maybe two nodes, as needed. Even if you need all six, you should build your network out slowly over time so that you have time to observe how it is working, one step at a time.

OE

Too many for what? I can connect to my one 86U 2.4 band up to nearly 1/4 mile away, albeit slow.

Review the specs for your routers... one router generally covers a large or very large home. So, you setup one and then add one, maybe two nodes, as needed. Even if you need all six, you should build your network out slowly over time so that you have time to observe how it is working, one step at a time.

OE

Okay, I see that I might have overdone this a little bit :) So my problem could be caused by having too many too close?

5 of the 6 routers are needed for wired connection to equipment (which does not have wifi). How would I best configure them to support this?

Last edited:
Okay, I see that I might have overdone this a little bit :) So my problem could be caused by having too many too close?

5 of the 6 routers are needed for wired connection to equipment (which does not have wifi). How would I best configure them to support this?

Radio is hard. Radio interference is a real problem... that's why radio devices and the use of radio are very regulated. I'm not a radio engineer, but I'll venture to suggest you may have too many radios, too close together. And if one is misbehaving, it could be hard to isolate.

Start with your best router. Add a node, maybe two... later. Plan their location to best suit all of your variables like ISP access, WiFi overlap (high, central, in the clear, not too close, not too far), wired clients, and signal path/obstacles like metal/masonry masses. Try to put you heavier traffic directly on the router to not burden wireless backhauls. Consider wiring a simple Gigabit Ethernet switch to expand the wired LAN where needed, like at your media center and in your home office.

OE

Radio is hard. Radio interference is a real problem... that's why radio devices and the use of radio are very regulated. I'm not a radio engineer, but I'll venture to suggest you may have too many radios, too close together. And if one is misbehaving, it could be hard to isolate.

Start with your best router. Add a node, maybe two... later. Plan their location to best suit all of your variables like ISP access, WiFi overlap (high, central, in the clear, not too close, not too far), and wired clients. Try to put you heavier traffic directly on the router to not burden wireless backhauls. Consider wiring a simple Gigabit Ethernet switch to expand the wired LAN where needed, like at your media center and in your home office.

OE

Thank you for your suggestions OzarkEdge, will definitely try to minimize the number of nodes.

On places where I need wired connection to a router, could it help by removing the node from the mesh and configure it for Repeater mode instead?

Thank you for your suggestions OzarkEdge, will definitely try to minimize the number of nodes.

On places where I need wired connection to a router, could it help by removing the node from the mesh and configure it for Repeater mode instead?

Not really. AiMesh is intended to supersede repeaters, extenders, and APs. So, I would go all in with AiMesh. Mixing in more will likely yield less... keep networking as simple as possible... it's already complicated enough.

Ideally, you would have an Ethernet-wired wall plate in every room. Unfortunately, I don't think you can simulate this with wireless switches.

I believe it is possible to disable the routing and WiFi in a router to use it simply for its Ethernet switch. But it would be cheaper and simpler to sell excess routers and buy switches.

If push comes to shove, you can try solving a LAN need with an AiMesh node where you don't really need the WLAN, but beware of too much WiFi. Or just run that one cable in the open to solve it solid.

OE

Configure it as Media Bridge, if available on those routers. It's a WiFi link to wired clients.

If it works. Media Bridge Mode is often complained about around here. Hard to know on what firmware and router it currently works.

OE

If it works. Media Bridge Mode is often complained about around here.

Update: All routers support Media Bridge. Needed to verify the info first.
I support @OzarkEdge advice, too many radios. Use 2 RT-AX92U in AiMesh, 2 RT-AC68U as Media Bridges, eventually. Go wired, if possible.

Moved the previous post update here. Yeah, Media Bridge is a hit and miss.
@BingoBonzo, call NASA first. They are probably using your coordinates as RF noise reference point. :)

With 6 routers each with 5 to 10 meters between them, in an average/large home, this will be an RF nightmare. :)

As suggested already above; use the main router and only if needed, add an AiMesh router (and remember, no Guest networks on the node are possible at this time) just over half-way between your main router and the intended area to be covered.

For the wired devices that need a wireless connection, keep in mind that even an RT-N66U can provide up to 450Mbps service to four devices or more (with an additional switch). The RT-AC68U's are more than up to this task. :) For maximum stability, consider using @john9527's excellent fork for older supported routers too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v43e6.18914/

If you're able to run at least 5 Ethernet cables (1 for the WAN and 4 for the 4 LAN ports too) to a central location of your home (and of course, the central location of the areas that need WiFi coverage), then you can get possibly get away with a single main router and have secure Guest networks available everywhere too. :)

The savings you will foresee from returning most of your current hardware can be more usefully put towards that central wiring suggested above instead for a much faster, and more hassle-free network today and when you upgrade too. :)

HTH. :)

I switched my node to an AP because I was having similar issues with 2.4 outside. I would Speedtest at .5 Mbps down (but 8Mbps up oddly enough) on some occasions. After switching to an AP and choosing non overlapping 2.4 channels I’m seeing speeds much more inline with what I would expect given the distance and aluminum siding (20-30 down).

Thank you for great feedback!!

Well, the HW is bought already, so maybe I just sell a few of the second hand. Maybe NASA will buy it :)

I do get better performance now when I have reduced to one Aimesh router and one node :)
But I'm still getting not so good 2.4 performance, 5Ghz gives med 500Mbps, while 2.4GHz gives
me maximum 60-70Mbps.

I'm also testing the different routers, setting them in single Router Mode (no Aimesh) and keep getting
same results (reset performed, no other clients, testing a few meters from the router).

Shouldn't a clean 2.4Ghz band be able to produce output of several 100's ?

A wireless client connects at a link rate respective of its protocol, number of antennas/streams, router signal strength, and radio interference.

Inspect your client connection for its link rate to judge any speed test you make with that client. I would use a PC client for testing, assuming it has two antennas.

Ideally, your wireless clients will connect at their max link rate. For instance, a typical 2x AC mobile device will connect at 866 Mbps. A 1x N device at 150 Mbps.

Then it comes down to your ISP speeds down/up and the router/node passing those speeds.

OE

Last edited:
Thank you for great feedback!!

You're welcome. :)

An AX capable 2.4GHz client and a compatible and properly setup AX router should be able to provide closer to that expectation. But a normal 2.4GHz client even with an AX router won't be able to get much more than half it's indicated connection rate, even at close distances. :)

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi6

Be sure you click for More PHY speed tables in the link above for the router technology you're interested in. :)