What's new

Very poor performance in new apartment with full signal (ASUS RT-N56U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hentze

New Around Here
Hello!

I have used the ASUS RT-N56U for about 2 years, in two different apartments, and I've never experienced any issues whatsoever until I moved into a new apartment (about 90m2 mostly with concrete walls), and I'm having a lot of problems with the internet connectivity (which is 100/100 connected through a ethernet socket in the wall with a CAT 6 cable), the connection always stays at full bars according to windows, but 90% of the time it's taking upwards of 10 seconds to open a random internet site, and mbps speed tests will most often end up way below 20 mbps (if it even loads at all), though some of the time it'll start sort of high 50+, but instantly tank down to below 20.

Usually in the evenings it seems to be more reliably hitting 60+ in tests. I'm guessing the primary problem is related to traffic, I'm mostly talking about 5ghz since the 2.4 ghz is so busy that I get speedtests in the kbps or very low mbps (On channel 11, the least busy one). For 5ghz it seems to work best when I set the channel to auto (It always selects 44-48, even though they are the most busy ones according to inSSIDer, also showing a link score of only around 45), when I try to select the least busy channels, only having 1-2 other users (channel 40, 48 and 48-52) the connection usually gets worse despite having a link score of 100.

The distance from the router to my room is about 10 metres, it is placed at the far end of the living room, about 1 metre from the wall, and elevated about 30 cm, the entrance to the living room is open, and it has to go through two doors to my room (But as I said, the connection never drops from full connectivity in windows, and I'm able to get 100 link score on some channels, so it doesn't seem to be related to the connection between the router and my wireless adapter, Edimax EW-7822UAC, which I've never had issues with either). While the connection between my wireless adapter and the router is perfect, my phone (Oneplus 3) has severe problems staying connected, usually with only 30% of the connection bar even when it's in the same room as my adapter, it gets better if I go into the hallway/livingroom. My laptop which is older and only connects to 2.4 ghz, cannot find any available routers at all in the area (My adapter shows probably around 30+)

What I've tried experimenting with: Trying out all the different channels available on 5ghz, and also switching between 20/40 bandwith, making seemingly no difference.
If I connect an ethernet cable from the socket straight to my laptop the connection is totally fine, which seems to suggest it isn't ISP related?

My browsing experience is almost always quite poor, 10 secs + loading sites, but sometimes I'm able to play Overwatch, with a steady ping of 38, and 0 packet loss. But usually only for about 1 hour, before I'm no longer able to connect to the game because the internet is so slow, but the connection to the router never drops in signal, and never disconnects entirely.

This got quite long, but I'm desperate to figure this out, it doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully someone can make sense of this, any advice/recommendations will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!