What's new

VHT in 2.4GHz ISM band - it can happen - proof attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
VHT (802.11ac) in 2.4GHz is the basis for many vendor claims of AC1900 and higher performance.

It's been discussed in other threads that VHT/TurboQAM type connections are a challenge in the real world - I agree, I've been able to do this on a lab bench, but it's rare to see in real-world usage.

This post essentially supports those marketing claims, however, it's not the best setup for 2.4GHz - I stand by my position that VHT/TurbQAM/Up to 400,600Mbps modes are not appropriate for the 2.4GHz band - it does add a lot of interop concerns, and with many devices, actually has a negative impact on performance (also confirmed subjectively in this test).

Best settings for 2.4Ghz are still generally B/G/N mixed, 20MHz channels (one can try 20/40 auto) for best client performance...

Specifics... again, the objective was to see if one can actually get a non-standard connection in 2.4GHz with VHT mode - and yes, it does...
  • AP - Linksys WRT-1900acV2 (Marvell based obviously)
  • STA - Asus USB-AC56 (Realtek RTL8812AU) connected via USB3.0
  • Upstream WAN is 150Mbps down/10 Mbps up - CoxHSI, Cable Modem Moto SB6183
Notes - the WRT is a 3*3:4 AP, the Asus Client is a 2*2:2 Client, so highest expectation would be a 2-stream VHT MCS9 connection in a perfect environment - aka 400Mbit/Sec, see notes below, but since we're in 2.4, VHT can be limited to MCS7 - which was observed.

DUT - Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series (2015) - Windows 10 Build 1803 - internal Dell 1705 ath9k WiFi disabled in BIOS
  • Asus/Realtek Driver - default from Windows Update - v 1030.11.503.2016 - correctly ID's as the Asus USB-AC56 device
  • Linksys WRT1900acV2 Firmware - v 2.0.8.187766
Tweaks to the Asus Driver:
  • VHT 2.4G - Not Support Broadcom Vendor (needed for Marvell based AP) - default is disabled - since this is a very early 802.11ac Wave 1 device, Broadcom had their way of supporting TurboQAM that Marvell/QCA, and other vendors did not
  • Preferred Band - 2.4G First
On the WRT, disabled 5GHz, on the 2.4GHz side, set the radio mode to Mixed, Channel Width to Auto, and Channel to 6 (default is auto) - the channel was set to 6 mainly so that the Packets could be captured.

Capture Device - Macbook Air 11" 2014 edition, OSX 10.13.6, Airtool 1.7, Wireshark 2.6.2

Observations - yes, while we were able to capture a VHT connection in 2.4GHz, there were a number of overlapping BSS's (other neighboring AP's out of my control) in the general area... the connection was established, but unstable at the network layer - max network throughput at the application level was less than 1 Mb/Sec (confirmed via iperf3/speedtest.net/fast.com/dslreports.com speedtests)

Resetting the Asus/Realtek drivers on the Laptop under test - 802.11n connection was established, to get 802.11ac 5GHz, one has to go into the driver advanced settings and set Preferred Band to 5GHz First, and there everything works as expected.

Attached is the Association Request and Response between the AP and Client under test. It's an interesting example, as this is a cross-vendor test - Marvell/Realtek - many others might be same vendor - e.g. Broadcom or QCA for both Client and AP.

Fun things in the PCAP's attached...

Look at the Marvell's HT capabilities - it really, really wants to beam form for 11n - it adverts pretty much everything in the 11n standard - you typically don't see this with Broadcom or QCA for Consumer AP's - I do see this from time to time in 11n for enterprise, but beamforming and spatial multiplexing in 11n are in conflict - do one or the other - and most chose correctly for SM vs. Beamforming (implicit or explicit) - one gets better returns on SM vs. Beamforming there...

The WRT's VHT Operation - MCS7 - which is appropriate perhaps, as the AP is set for 20/40 mode, and VHT7 is as high as you can get for 20MHz channels in 11ac - notice also in HT mode that it supports MCS32, HT-Duplicate, again, uncommon in most consumer AP's

The Realtek Client STA - it does not support by default SU beamforming (which is an optional feature actually in 11ac) - it does say that it's operating in 40MHz mode for CH6 in the association request...

Just kinda cool to catch this - most clients in 2.4GHz - while the chips might be capable of VHT, most drivers disable it - and for good reasons, IMHO...

FWIW - the caps show an VHT MCS7 operation - 2 streams, 40MHz = 300 Mbps, which is pretty much what one would expect with 11n in the same conditions - HT MCS 15 - this keeps things honest actually at the RF level...

Some sharp eyes might notice in the attach response that there's no RSN Info stanza in the PCAP - and that's because auth has already been completed, so it's implied, and not needed since no 11r support.

Also note that in the Attach Response the WMM - the AP defines the QoS relationship on the AP-STA link for 802.11, the client can request, but the AP grants what it's configured for.

Attachments

• vht_ism_assoc_response.txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 566
  • vht_ism_assoc_request.txt
    25 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
@thiggins - note there's no 11k/v/r here... and not expected in this test scenario... we know that both the client STA and AP do not support the roaming standards...

@RMerlin - yeah, finally grabbed a real-world VHT connection in 2.4GHz in a semi-noisy environment.

I had to find a combo of outliers - realtek and marvell to make this happen.

Tried with QCA and Broadcom - everything there was 11n connections...

Last edited:
The AC1200 client adapter used for this testing - covered in the main site review...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32271-ac1200-usb-wireless-adapter-roundup

The ASUS USB-AC56 has the distinction of being the only adapter in this roundup with an upgradeable, movable, external dipole antenna attached via an RP-SMA connector. The design uses separate 5 and 2.4 GHz amplifiers, with a pair of Skyworks SE5003L for the former and two unidentifiable components for the latter.

asus_usbac56_board.jpg

For the most part, the ASUS USB-AC56 turned in the best overall performance to earn its first-place ranking. But the adapter might not be the one for you. First, at $70, it's the most expensive of the bunch. But the large external antenna would be more of a problem for anyone planning to use this on any device that moves around. This product really seems more suited for use with desktop computers, media players or anything else needing wireless network connection that isn't going to be moved much.

Chromebook (Lenovo N22 - Intel AC-7265) says no to VHT in 2.4GHz... and it says no to wide channels - AP is set wide, client doesn't recognize the secondary...

Does a stable 11n connection there...

Attachments

• network_diagnostics_2018-08-25.20:54:09.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I see 2.4 GHz 400 Mbps link rate with many of the mesh systems using the octoPal STA. But I see it for both Tx and Rx less often.

VHT (802.11ac) in 2.4GHz is the basis for many vendor claims of AC1900 and higher performance.

It's been discussed in other threads that VHT/TurboQAM type connections are a challenge in the real world - I agree, I've been able to do this on a lab bench, but it's rare to see in real-world usage.

This post essentially supports those marketing claims, however, it's not the best setup for 2.4GHz - I stand by my position that VHT/TurbQAM/Up to 400,600Mbps modes are not appropriate for the 2.4GHz band - it does add a lot of interop concerns, and with many devices, actually has a negative impact on performance (also confirmed subjectively in this test).

I'm a bit confused by the intermingling of VHT and TurboQAM. Aren't they fairly different with VHT relating to channel bandwidth and TurboQAM relating to the actual modulation of the signal?

From what I've seen, non-standard 256QAM support for 2.4GHz 802.11n is the only basis used for the AC1900 claims. Non-standard 1024QAM support for 802.11n and/or 802.11ac (AKA NitroQAM) forms the basis for inflated speeds in some of the dual-band AC3XXX or tri-band AC4XXX/AC5XXX products. Inflated speed claims based on increased channel bandwidths have been less common. The only one which comes to mind right now is the Linksys WRT3200ACM.

I see 2.4 GHz 400 Mbps link rate with many of the mesh systems using the octoPal STA. But I see it for both Tx and Rx less often.

Interesting for the reference OctoPal client station...

How about for typical windows client stations - my investigation shows that while the chip may be capable, many times the drivers don't, at least not for default - my guess is for interop purposes...

How about for typical windows client stations - my investigation shows that while the chip may be capable, many times the drivers don't, at least not for default - my guess is for interop purposes...
Sorry, but I don't do much testing with device STAs. I don't much trust the link rates they report anyway...

I'm a bit confused by the intermingling of VHT and TurboQAM. Aren't they fairly different with VHT relating to channel bandwidth and TurboQAM relating to the actual modulation of the signal?

In the early AC1900 days - Broadcom had an approach where they used a vendor extension to advertise QAM256/TurboQAM mode - other vendors went down another path, which was to go non-standard and enable VHT mode for 2.4GHz, ending up with something similar - e.g. QAM256 support (VHT MCS 9). The challenge with the VHT approach is that in 2.4GHz and 20MHz channels, one is limited to VHT MCS 7

From what I've seen, non-standard 256QAM support for 2.4GHz 802.11n is the only basis used for the AC1900 claims. Non-standard 1024QAM support for 802.11n and/or 802.11ac (AKA NitroQAM) forms the basis for inflated speeds in some of the dual-band AC3XXX or tri-band AC4XXX/AC5XXX products. Inflated speed claims based on increased channel bandwidths have been less common. The only one which comes to mind right now is the Linksys WRT3200ACM.

Pretty much spot on - actually even AC1900 needs 2.4GHz to go non-standard - from a standards perspective, if one were to configure them to be compliant, would be AC1750...

Rango (WRT3200ac) - the 160MHz channel width is supported by 802.11ac, so that's a valid claim, however, like the case above, to get to AC3200, the 2.4GHz has to go non-standard.

That being said - VHT160 (either 80+80 or 160) has little utility in most cases, as client adapters that can support those modes are far and few between...

Sorry, but I don't do much testing with device STAs. I don't much trust the link rates they report anyway...

At the casual user interface - I would agree - getting under the hood (netsh for example for windows), linux and MacOS, along with ChromeOS, do give valid info most of the time.

The Associate Request/Response handshake will show the initial negotiated rate, along with common features (as per your excellent WiFi roaming series that was recently published on the main site)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!