vi edit /jffs/scripts hang

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

threemonks

Occasional Visitor
Recently I am unable to edit script /jffs/scripts using vi. I can launch the editor with the script, and make changes, but when I try to save and quit :)wq) or quite without save :)q), it will just hang.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
Recently I am unable to edit script /jffs/scripts using vi. I can launch the editor with the script, and make changes, but when I try to save and quit :)wq) or quite without save :)q), it will just hang.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks
Apart from the obvious.... you are not trying to vi '/jffs/scripts' right?

I suggest you try the 'easier' nano editor.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
What router? What firmware?

threemonks

Occasional Visitor
I was editing script /jffs/scripts/firewall-rule.

It is RT-AC3200, asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 384.13_2

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
My RT-AC3200 is now at the bottom of the closet since I no longer support that model, so I can't test it.

I would second Martineau's advice and switching to nano as a workaround.

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
When I tried nano, I got this error:
Error opening terminal: screen.
Which SSH client are you using?

Try setting terminal type to 'xterm'

threemonks

Occasional Visitor
I am connecting to the router from another linux box under screen.

I tried to ssh via putty directly, so the TERM is xterm, and then tried nano, it now seems to hang with a status text at bottom says "Reading File".

I also noticed that whenever I try to tab complete command on shell, the ssh session will hang as well.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Sounds like a terminal problem to me, not a firmware issue. Try with a more standard SSH session rather than through screen.

threemonks

Occasional Visitor
It seems like some kind of memory issue. I was experiencing hang even with pure putty login. I finally got it to work after a reboot.