What's new

View Physical Layer Errors?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I'm troubleshooting an issue and I think it might be a bad cable but it's a pain to rerun, so before I do so, I was wondering if it's possible to view somewhere on the router if there are any errors being reported at the physical layer of the network (which would confirm that it's a bad cable)? Are such errors logged in the router log? If they are, what do the log entries say? Or is there somewhere else I can check for physical errors between the router and a wired device?

Thanks,
Harry

Ifconfig will tell you errors on the port. Note these won't be "physical layer" errors as the physical layer is just volts, the port will report layer 2 and layer 3 errors.

To test a cable, assuming you don't have an expensive fluke tester, put a PC on either end and use iperf. You should be able to get about 95% throughput using TCP. There are plenty of other utilities that will tell you packet drops etc but if you can get 95% with iperf, the cable is likely fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!