What's new

Viewing Line Stats Setup Query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Short

Occasional Visitor
Hi All
Wondering if some one can help me with an issue I have regarding setting up my network to be able to view line stats. This might sound confusing so I apologise in advance if you get lost in what I'm trying to say, hopefully you can get the gist of it.
I prefer using a separate modem and router for my network setup, and at present I run an unlocked BT Openreach HG612 modem that goes to an Asus AC86U router handling my PPPOE fibre internet connection. To view my line stats using DSLStats, and HG612 GUI, I have a Raspberry Pi3 connected to the monitoring LAN port of the HG612. This setup allows me view DSLStats on the Pi3 and the HG612 GUI on the Pi3 browser using remote access via VNC viewer.
I have just acquired a Draytek Vigor 130 that I would like to replace the HG612 with, however the Vigor 130 only has one LAN port. I came up with the idea of putting an ethernet switch behind the Vigor 130, then connecting my Pi3 and Asus router to the switch. I happen to have an unmanaged gigabit switch lying around so I thought I'd give it a try, and even though my Asus router can communicate with my Vigor 130 and provide internet access as it used to, my Pi3 cannot communicate with the modem over LAN, and not able to view the Vigor 130 GUI on the pi3 browser, I get a message saying 'site is unreachable'.
I have checked the LAN IP configuration of my Pi3 to see if it matches my Vigor 130, and everything seems fine. If I disconnect the LAN cable from the Pi3 to the gigabit switch and connect it directly to the Vigor 130 I can view the Vigor 130 GUI on the Pi3.
So it seems putting an ethernet switch between the modem and the Pi3 is causing the issue of not being able to view my Vigor 130 GUI on my Pi3.
Does anyone know what might be causing this and if there is a solution I can use to sort this out.
Any thoughts, views and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a vigor but running this command enables me to access my modem without additional switches.

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

same subnet as the modem, different to the lan.

I don't have a vigor but running this command enables me to access my modem without additional switches.

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

same subnet as the modem, different to the lan.

Many thanks for the reply and useful tip.

Unfortunately I get error messages when I enter the command (see image)

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 418
Paul , all you need to do is plug in the Vigor 130 , attach it to your ASUS router.

Then access the Vigor 130 using 192.168.2.1 in your browser.

The Vigor has a link to its web console , it's the middle button top right of pane.

Type vdsl stats , then type vdsl stats more .

Last edited:
Paul , all you need to do is plug in the Vigor 130 , attach it to your ASUS router.

Then access the Vigor 130 using 192.168.2.1 in your browser.

The Vigor has a link to its web console , it's the middle button top right of pane.

Type vdsl stats , then type vdsl stats more .

Cheers for the help Andrei.

Out of interest, what IP address should the Asus be on?

Cheers for the help Andrei.

Out of interest, what IP address should the Asus be on?

My AC3200 is on 192.168.1.1 , all I did was connect the modem to the router, set up my connection and without changing anything I was able to access the Vigor's stats in a browser (192.168.2.1 ). I know a few people with the same setup and they have the same results.

The only that would stop this working is a setting on the ASUS GUI > WAN >
Special Requirement from ISP
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection
Yes / No . That needs to be set to "Yes" (on) which seems to be the default.

My AC3200 is on 192.168.1.1 , all I did was connect the modem to the router, set up my connection and without changing anything I was able to access the Vigor's stats in a browser (192.168.2.1 ). I know a few people with the same setup and they have the same results.

The only that would stop this working is a setting on the ASUS GUI > WAN >
Special Requirement from ISP
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection
Yes / No . That needs to be set to "Yes" (on) which seems to be the default.

As you said Andrei, got it working a treat now.

I must have messed about with my Asus settings too much in the past and messed up a configuration along the way. Fully reset my Asus, set it up from scratch, and now I can access my Vigor 130 gui on my browser.

Cheers for all your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!