What's new

VLAN based dual WAN to force one VLAN out a different port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

confuzed

Occasional Visitor
I spent several hours today figuring out/implementing this and I suspect that someone will find it handy (especially me a year from now).

Here is the situation, my employer provides us teleworkers these awesome little Aruba RAP3 remote access points (hardware vpn essentially). But I wanted to use a VM rather than a physical machine, and that VM's host (a laptop) must not connect to the VPN itself, just the VM. I also wanted to be able to use this laptop from any of my LAN drops or via WiFi and still have the VM connect to the VPN.

So what I decided I would do is place the VM and the RAP's LAN port in a VLAN together essentially creating a "dual WAN" situation. Devices in the new VLAN will get DHCP and VPN WAN from the RAP... while all other devices use the router's DHCP and WAN connection.

My N66u is wired like this:
WAN -> ISP
Port 1 -> External Switch (unmanaged)
Port 2 -> External Switch (managed)
Port 3 -> Aruba RAP WAN port
Port 4 -> Aruba RAP LAN port

As you can see both of the RAP ports are connected to my N66u, however Port 4 is on a separate VLAN, so there isn't some crazy loop created.

First I SSH'd into my router and ran the following command to view the existing VLANs and port assignments:
Code:
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# robocfg show
Switch: enabled gigabit
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 1:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 2: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 3: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 4:   DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 8: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
VLANs: BCM53115 enabled mac_check mac_hash
   1: vlan1: 1 2 3 4 8t
   2: vlan2: 0 8u

Then I removed port 4 from VLAN 1 and created vlan101 with the following commands:
Code:
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# robocfg vlan 1 ports "1 2 3 8t"
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# robocfg vlan 101 ports "1t 2t 3t 4 8t"
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# robocfg show
Switch: enabled gigabit
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 1:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 2: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 3: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 4:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 101 jumbo: off mac: redacted
Port 8: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: redacted
VLANs: BCM53115 enabled mac_check mac_hash
   1: vlan1: 1 2 3 8t
   2: vlan2: 0 8u
 101: vlan101: 1t 2t 3t 4 8t
What this is essentially saying is that VLAN 1 is the 'default' VLAN on ports 1, 2, & 3, and the CPU (port 8) can access it using tags. VLAN 101 is the default for port 4 and is also accessible via tags on ports 1, 2, 3, and 8.

Once I did that, I needed to add the VLAN to the ethernet interface and bring it up with:
Code:
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# vconfig add eth0 101
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig vlan101 up

At this point, the router configuration was complete for wired networking. All I had to do then was enable vlan101 tagging on all the ports of my managed switch and I was ready to test.

I set the VLAN id on one of my corporate devices to 101 and it pulled an IP address and connected to corporate vpn via the RAP beautifully. But then I hit the snag that cost most of my time... I couldn't get my VM's to work.

First of all, the default Windows Intel e1000e NIC driver in VMWare Workstation 12 did not include an advanced option for VLAN tagging. This was resolved by switching to the, arguably better, vmxnet3 para-virtualized NIC... to do this I shut down the VM and modified the .vmx file for my VM to change ethernet0.virtualDev to read:
Code:
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

Once I booted the VM back up, I was able to set the VLAN id to 101, however it still wouldn't pull an IP.

After several hours of troubleshooting and finding page after page telling me that VMWare Workstation does not support VLAN's on bridged virtual adapters, I discovered the solution. All I had to do was disable support for VLANs on my host's adapter:
upload_2017-4-11_3-23-16.png

Apparently, having Priority & VLAN enabled caused the host's adapter to discard any return packets for VLAN101 (since the host wasn't on that VLAN). By disabling VLAN support, the host adapter no longer dropped the packets, it just ignores them and the VM receives the tagged packet.

I will finish this journal tomorrow, once I add support for the VLAN over wireless and have created a startup script to have the router settings persist through a reboot.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-11_3-22-28.png
    upload_2017-4-11_3-22-28.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
So, after all of that progress yesterday, I seem to have hit a roadblock today on how to extend VLAN 101 out to my tagged WLAN clients.

All I want is to have tagged clients on the WLAN dumped into VLAN 101, all other clients would remain as is. However I cannot determine if I need to create a new bridge with ebtables to filter the traffic (and if so, how). Or if there is a better way?

Can anyone help me out... how do I send tagged WLAN traffic to the appropriate VLAN and leave untagged traffic alone?

Thanks in advance.

I used to have a RAP2 - I just connected the VM over the RAP's WiFi, while the host was WIFI into my LAN... two adapters - a WiFi USB dongle dedicated to the VM, and the onboard WiFi (or ethernet) for the host

Kept the VM off the LAN by not bridging the connection there.

I used to have a RAP2 - I just connected the VM over the RAP's WiFi, while the host was WIFI into my LAN... two adapters - a WiFi USB dongle dedicated to the VM, and the onboard WiFi (or ethernet) for the host

Kept the VM off the LAN by not bridging the connection there.

Theoretically, with VLAN's I'm not bridging my home network to the corporate. Many very secure networks use VLANs to segment a network. Of course they aren't using consumer grade equipment to do it. Obviously, relying on client side tagging isn't ideal, since it would be trivial to change the tag on a client to toggle between VLANs, but unless I have a client that is on both VLANs at the same time, the two are technically separate.

I considered the second NIC (when docked) and second wireless NIC when roaming... but the range on the RAP is kinda weak. I probably could add additional access points off the LAN port, or maybe a repeater... but was really hoping to get away without more hardware.