What's new

VLAN (IPTV) setting not working for GT AX11000 Pro ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

puremind

Regular Contributor
Hi !

Hoping someone can help... I've recently replaced a Netgear R8500 with a new ASUS GT AX11000 Pro. (Used to have a way older ASUS RT-N66U before with Merlin back then)

I am trying to bypass my ISPs router with Asus' directly.
For what I read around, it does require to set VLAN 10 in the used WAN port.

After attempted every combo I could've, and no luck at all, I've decided to test to connect the R8500 with stock firmware and simply enable VLAN 10... incredibly, it did work right away as expected. This is a simple DHCP from the ONT FTTH, no credentials or anything else required.

For what I see, the way this is "supported" with the ASUS is via the IPTV option. Not sure if this is because the GT AX11000 Pro is moderately new with dual wan and the firmware is not doing what is meant to do (yet) or what else is going on, but I get no success.
I have to enter VLAN ID 10 as custom, as my ISP is not listed. The rest blank or zero as it appears. No way, DHCP never picks up anything.

I am wondering if anyone has made the 11000 Pro work like this or wondering if there is something going on with the firmware.
Also wondering if there is a simple way to just tag every interface as under the same VLAN 10 with, i.e. vlanctl commands (that seems is what the Netgear is successfully supporting from the GUI) if that is what is needed.
... or any other method with ip like suggested here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...vlan-from-ac-68u-to-ac-86u.81775/#post-801954

What would help to everyone not extremely technical is if there is some kind of option in the IPTV menu to force-tag all interfaces with an ID and then you'd get a generic solution... or even a simple script via amtm if the GUI is not the option.

I wouldn't want to have to buy a managed switch (and live forever with a max of 1GB WAN limited don by this), but it seems is the only other alternative I have left if this cannot be software-resolved.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

PS: I am on latest MerlinFW
GT-AX11000_PRO388.1

Last edited:
Upgraded to 388.2 and no change...

Why are the VLAN menus not displayed on Merlin when ASUS Firmware states the AX11000 Pro should have VLAN menus?

Is there any way, using bash script or any other method, to simply get the router to use the WAN port as a tagged LAN with VLAN ID = 10 or whatever number ? This is the most basic need the vast majority of users would have, just get the WAN port to be 802.1Q tag-able to not need to use unmanaged switches and connect directly to the ISPs.

I am currently using an inexpensive managed switch to do this, but there must be a way to get this expensive router to do it, considering there are bash commands like "vlanctl" and "brctl" that seem have 802.1Q VLAN tagging support... but missing settings in the Merlin GUI.

Last edited:
You are confusing the new VLAN settings in Beta Pro models firmware with LAN, IPTV settings.

If you want to bypass your ISP provided equipment - share the details about this ISP and someone will help you.

WAN must be set as VLAN 10
I have setup this with an unmanaged switch tagging the wan port as 10 , but any attempts I’ve done with the 11000 pro and IPTV menu have not worked.

How can this be achieved ?

Last edited:
I know nothing about your ISP and can't give you an advice. Look in ISP support forums for more information.

The problem is not the ISP.
The problem is the fact there is no way where to tell the ASUS firmware to set VLAN ID 10 for WAN. Simple as that.

I can't comment on a problem with the only information provided "it's not working". If you already know for sure the router is the issue - call Asus Support for assistance. Nothing else you can do at the moment. Pack a big bag of patience for your journey and good luck.

Welcome to the consumer market. You've paid for Pro hardware and will be waiting for Pro features for many months. Your router has somewhat acceptable working firmware at the moment good enough to sell it. No wonder if something is not working on it as expected.

None of your comments are helpful or add anything of value. If you don’t know how to, better say nothing. Thanks.

Something of the lines of
Is what I am looking for. VLAN 10 on eth0 that works on the 11000 Pro

The problem is the fact there is no way where to tell the ASUS firmware to set VLAN ID 10 for WAN. Simple as that.
It's on the IPTV page. See my config for my own ISP which uses VLAN 40 on the WAN interface:

1682181893966.png

I believe @puremind is confused from the fact the setting is actually in LAN section and not in WAN. A small Asuswrt challenge. :)

I am not confused at all Tech9.

What Merlin is suggesting does not work as it should with GT AX11000 Pro, I tried that before and a few other combos.
WAN cable connected to the 2.5G port. Had another ISP before and the same issue with both ISPs when doing what you are suggesting, which is Internet manual setting of "VID 10".

When doing that, Merlin's firmware complaints that "DHCP is not properly setup by the ISP", however, when I plug my managed switch to the ONT (port 1 on the configuration below tagged as VLAN10 ) and then to the router (port 2 on the configuration below), it does indeed work (without any VLAN config on the router). Then I am using the other 3 ports as a separate switch, but not relevant to this.

Does the suggested above require any change on the WAN page setup?
Only executing the suggested does not get it to work.

Thanks.

PS - if it helps anyone these go for 25$ / € etc

Attachments

• tagged.png
    tagged.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
You don't provide any details about your ISP. Some ISPs expect to see specific MAC address bound to the IP. You may have to wait until this IP reservation expires. Until then changing the gateway device will show an error. The issue may not be your router. Check the ISP support forums.

You don't provide any details about your ISP. Some ISPs expect to see specific MAC address bound to the IP. You may have to wait until this IP reservation expires. Until then changing the gateway device will show an error. The issue may not be your router. Check the ISP support forums.

You are not reading what I wrote so I will repeat.

Same issue with two different ISPs, not just one ISP.
Same issue resolved using an inexpensive managed switch to do what the ASUS should be doing, which is adding 802.1Q tag for VLAN 10 on WAN, that seems is not working as per Merlin's instructions with AX11000 Pro on the 2.5G port for WAN

When using the managed switch ( that doesn't have anything to do with any specific MAC addresses or things like that ) it works.

Also, when I was using my old router, not ISP's, a Netgear 8500 with stock firmware and adding the "10" to the right menu for 802.1Q / VLAN, it did work too, which is what I was expecting the ASUS to do.

Stop routing the issue to the ISP. In this specific case, the issue is on the router's firmware not doing what is meant to do.

In this specific case, the issue is on the router's firmware not doing what is meant to do.

Your options:

1) New firmware is available to test with - Asuswrt 388_23012 from Apr 11 2023.
2) Continue looking for script options in Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 based on 388_22525 Asuswrt.
3) Continue using the managed switch before your Asus router until the issue is resolved.
4) Replace your Asus router with something else tested working.

Stop routing the issue to the ISP

I'm stopping here. Apologies to your ISP. ;)

I was asking if someone else has made it to work using the GUI.

Seems Merlin has managed, but he has the AX16000.
Not sure to what port is the WAN connected on that AX16000 or if he has setup other options for Dual WAN, as he didn't mention I didn't try with anything else, but I remember I tested all that an there was no way to get it to work. Tried to the 2.5G and all the other ports and no way.

I'm using the 2.5 Gbps WAN port. No other particular configuration, and my ONT is bridged, so I cannot configure anything on it. The PPPoE session is launched from my router.

I know quite a few other customers from the same ISP are also using various Asus routers.

Thanks Merlin. My ONT is bridged too, nothing I can update there.

When you say "PPPoE session" means that you are providing username, password, etc specifics to your ISP for the PPPoE right ?

On my case, there are no specifics from the ISP, as it works with the managed switch and the other Netgear router via their GUIs (as is, no credentials) , that's why I am thinking there is something odd with the implementation here, unless there is anything else I can do / test here that you can suggest.

Attachments

• WAN.png
    WAN.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 52
Thanks Merlin. My ONT is bridged too, nothing I can update there.

When you say "PPPoE session" means that you are providing username, password, etc specifics to your ISP for the PPPoE right ?

On my case, there are no specifics from the ISP, as it works with the managed switch and the other Netgear router via their GUIs (as is, no credentials) , that's why I am thinking there is something odd with the implementation here, unless there is anything else I can do / test here that you can suggest.

Tried the below (same ISP) and no luck either

What is bugging me is the fact the unmanaged switch and the Netgear do work perfect with this ISP (and the previous ISP that had the same VLAN=10 requirement) and I didn't put any PPPoE or whatever to them, however none of all the attempts I have made to get the AX11000 Pro to connect haven't succeeded.