What's new

VLAN on switch causing Remote Desktop problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canuck in the wilderness

Occasional Visitor
I have two Asus-Merlin routers on two separate public static IPs through the same modem. (Note: I'm rural, and connected to the modem via a radio link which acts basically like a long ethernet cable from my location to the modem, which is in a nearby town.) Let's call the IPs 006 (N66U) and 007 (AC68U).

The modem connects to a Negear switch which is VLANned and distributes the two public IPs to two separate routers (long story).

I used to be able to (a) ping from one IP to the other, usually from 006 to 007 and (b) connect via Remote Desktop to PCs on each end, again most importantly from 006 to 007.

Now, "something" has happened and I can do neither. Connecting from the outside world works fine, both for ping and RDP, so I'm suspecting I inadvertently changed that "something" that now has screwed up my ability to treat the two routers as if they really were in two different locations. (I had to rebuild the switch so that may be the problem.)

I assume that somehow rather than the connections between the two being made outside and on the internet (as if they were indeed in two different locations), it's being made internally in the switch. Does that make sense?

Can anyone advise how to start debugging this?

This is a layer 3 issue. Usually when a connection is given multiple IPs they are all in the same network so maybe your IPs were not on separate VLANs otherwise it would be a routing problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!