What's new

VLAN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apauw

New Around Here
I have recently bought a Netgear GS108Tv2 switch and am starting to experiment with VLANs on it.

The manual is a bit confusing, but I managed to get it working, although here's something I don't understand:

- Switch GS108Tv2
- Configured VLAN 7
- Configured Fedora 12 Linux machine with VLAN 7 (working) on port 2
- Configured Solaris 10 machine with VLAN 7 (working) on port 3
- Added both port 2 and 3 to VLAN 7

Here's what I don't understand:

If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Tagged members of VLAN 7 it works.
If I configure port 2 as Tagged and port 3 as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it works.
If I configure port 2 as Untagged and port 3 as Tagged members of VLAN7 is doesn't work.
If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it doesn't work.

Question: why does situation 2 work and 3 and 4 not.

Thanks for any help, remember I just started with this.

Albert

P.S. If haven't touched the PVID stuff in this experiment yet.

my 2 cents

If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Tagged members of VLAN 7 it works.
If I configure port 2 as Tagged and port 3 as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it works.
If I configure port 2 as Untagged and port 3 as Tagged members of VLAN7 is doesn't work.
If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it doesn't work.

Question: why does situation 2 work and 3 and 4 not.

Q: If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Tagged members of VLAN 7 it works.

A: Makes sense!

Q: If I configure port 2 as Tagged and port 3 as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it works.

A: So.. this shouldn't work (technically)...Did you copy current config -> running config? after you made the changes (not sure if netgear whatever you're using does this..)

Q: If I configure port 2 as Untagged and port 3 as Tagged members of VLAN7 is doesn't work.

A: Same answer as previous question...Did it actually save correctly this time? (this Question/Result is the what should happened if 1 port is tagged..other is untagged.)

Q: If I configure port 2 and 3 both as Untagged members of VLAN 7 it doesn't work.

A: So not sure how the switch reacts on this situation..but some switches have a default vlan of 1..when they're unassociated/untagged. Sometimes though.. if you unassociated..then they simply are "off the grid" and the switch doesn't do anything with the ports.. hence no communication across them..might as well be admin down.

I suspect that the results you're getting for 2 and 3...are because the switch didnt' take your config changes right away before you tested..or it didn't copy it to the switches running config? possibly need to reboot after making changes?

(just my 2 cents since no one has responded to you yet).

Hi there,

many thanks. Reading your request I checked if I still had the default VLAN (1) as untagged for these ports, but they weren't.

I redid al settings and the results were the same, 1) worked, 4) didn't work, both as expected. But 2) and 3) did work also. This time I did a reboot inbetween these settings (this Netgear switch only has one (running) config), but that didn't made any difference.

For what it's worth, the only setting I did per port was PVID=7, the other settings I didn't touch:

Acceptable Frame Types: Admit all (other choice VLAN only)
Ingress Filtering: Disable (other choice enable)
Port Priority (0 to 7): 0

I assumed it was unnecessary to change these as both the machines only sent out VLAN tagged packets anyway.