What's new

VLAN setup on ethernet ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phydeauxman

Occasional Visitor
This really isn't a wireless question but wanted to see if it is possible to configure the Ethernet ports on my RT-AC68U to be on different vlans. I have quite an extensive lab setup at home for work and I want to isolate the lab from the personal use stuff in my house like my family's computers and my DVRs. I want to be able to use a completely different subnet scheme for each of the vlans. If this is possible, how would I configure the router to provide DHCP to each of the vlans? Could the router do port forwarding of specific services to each of the vlans? Would the router now have 2 IP addresses, 1 for each vlan, allowing machines from each vlan to reach the Internet?

VLANs are not supported with Asus' firmware. I think that if you install Tomato's 3rd party firmware they might be, but I have never used Tomato myself.

Last edited:
VLANs are not supported on Asus' routers. I think that if you install Tomato's 3rd party firmware they might be, but I have never used Tomato myself.

This version of Tomato firmware will do what you want using GUI.

Tomato Firmware 1.28.0007

Teaman" features:
- QOS-detailed & ctrate filters
- Realtime bandwidth monitoring of LAN clients
- Static ARP binding
- VLAN administration GUI
- Multiple LAN support integration and GUI
- Multiple/virtual SSID support (experimental)
- UDPxy integration and GUI
- PPTP Server integration and GUI
Copyright (C) 2011 Augusto Bott
Tomato-sdhc-vlan Homepage

This version of Tomato firmware will do what you want using GUI.

Tomato Firmware 1.28.0007

Teaman" features:
- QOS-detailed & ctrate filters
- Realtime bandwidth monitoring of LAN clients
- Static ARP binding
- VLAN administration GUI
- Multiple LAN support integration and GUI
- Multiple/virtual SSID support (experimental)
- UDPxy integration and GUI
- PPTP Server integration and GUI
Copyright (C) 2011 Augusto Bott
Tomato-sdhc-vlan Homepage
I have never used Tomato firmware one my Asus...been running Merlin almost since the beginning. Is Tomato as intuitive/stable as Merlin? How hard is it to switch from Merlin to Tomato?

I have never used Tomato firmware one my Asus...been running Merlin almost since the beginning. Is Tomato as intuitive/stable as Merlin? How hard is it to switch from Merlin to Tomato?

I use both. Tomato is stable, but then Merlin sets the gold standard for stability and he quickly resolves small bugs, even in features used by few. No firmware has every feature but if VLANs set up using the GUI are important to you Tomato will do the trick.

Setting up either for basic features is about the same. To set up the VLANs, vitrual SSIDs, assigning LAN ports to the VLANs required that I look at the Wiki to see how to accomplish the process quickly.

The nice thing about ASUS routers is that they are almost un brickable. Try Tomato and if you don't like it simply load Merlin's firmware back. Changing from Merlin to Tomato is about as straight forward as upgrading to the latest Merlin version except you will have to reconfigure everything from scratch.

I use both. Tomato is stable, but then Merlin sets the gold standard for stability and he quickly resolves small bugs, even in features used by few. No firmware has every feature but if VLANs set up using the GUI are important to you Tomato will do the trick.

Setting up either for basic features is about the same. To set up the VLANs, vitrual SSIDs, assigning LAN ports to the VLANs required that I look at the Wiki to see how to accomplish the process quickly.

The nice thing about ASUS routers is that they are almost un brickable. Try Tomato and if you don't like it simply load Merlin's firmware back. Changing from Merlin to Tomato is about as straight forward as upgrading to the latest Merlin version except you will have to reconfigure everything from scratch.

Thanks for the info

When was the last time you have upgraded the firmware on your ASUS router?

I got the latest version of the tomato firmware for my 68 and when I try to flash it...I get the message "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality".

So, it will not let me flash my router with the tomato firmware.

When was the last time you have upgraded the firmware on your ASUS router?

I got the latest version of the tomato firmware for my 68 and when I try to flash it...I get the message "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality".

So, it will not let me flash my router with the tomato firmware.
It was a few months ago.

You probably need to go to a site of other Tomato users and see if they can help you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!