What's new

VLAN tag = VID in "Special ISP Settings" ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PowerMan572

Occasional Visitor
I have been trying to figure out how to setup a VLAN tag so I can use my router with my CenturyLink 1Gigabit Fiber Optic Internet. I need to enter my PPPoE credentials and set a VLAN as 201.

I found this post in another forum:

I figured out how to use my ASUS router in place of the one provided by CenturyLink! It turns out it does have a setting to configure the VLAN tag (They call it VID in the "Special ISP Settings"... I'm using the current Merlin firmware, but I think it is in the stock firmware as well), and when I set it to 201, the PPPoE connection came right up. No call to CenturyLink technical support was required. Better yet, I see no loss of performance whatsoever (I have an ASUS RT-AC87U), see the attached speedtest.

Is this correct? If I buy an Asus router and flash Merlin, I can set the "VID" to 201 under Special ISP Settings? Can someone confirm this before I go buy one.

I've tried Linksys and Netgear routers so far and flashed custom firmware with no luck! If I can do this with an Asus using the steps above, I'll be ecstatic!

Yes, you can set custom VID for internet connection (Under IPTV options), not sure though if it supports vlan id`s over 16.

Both Merlin and Stock Firmware have this option

Thanks!

I need a VLAN 201 for my Internet. If anyone can confirm I can do this number, please let me know.

If I get some spare time, I can test that you can actually apply it and it forwards traffic (I have managed switch, so I can test vlan based stuff, if necessary), but I cannot test it over PPPoE (In my country, all ISP`s have depreciated PPPoE and use pure DHCP only) and I don`t have CenturyLink available.

my previous ISP required VLAN tagged PPPoE WAN. It works, as you are thinking it should.

LAN, IPTV, set the ISP profile to manual. Then you can set the internet VID to 201.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a similar issue as the OP.

After days of frustration, I've discovered my new ISP (1&1 VDSL in Germany) requires VLAN tag 7 to use an external router with their modems.

My problem is that I have a AC56U and there is no 'internet' VID field in the manual iptv settings. There are only VID fields for ports LAN 3 and LAN 4. I need VLAN tag 7 on the WAN port.

I'm running the latest Merlin firmware. I'm guessing this is not a bug, but is there some other way I can set the VLAN tag on the WAN port of my router?

I've done a bit of searching but haven't found anything specifically for the AC56U, and it's my understanding that sometimes the ports are not always listed in the correct order.

If my only option is robocfg (which I'm not familiar with), could someone kindly provide instructions on how to set my WAN port to use VLAN 7 always at startup on the AC56U?

I can be of assistance! I noticed the VID was missing in the latest Merlin build as well (see post #10 and #11 here with Merlin's response ---> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-collecting-iptv-issues-with-recent-firmware.31237/ )

So it is Asus' fault that this field is missing. They will fix it in the next release, but Merlin can't fix it because it's Asus' firmware issue.

What I recommend doing is going back a version or two. I can confirm that Merlin version from July 2015 works like a charm! It's been running rock solid since I first installed it in July 2015.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! In my case, I only had to revert one version before to 380.57 and the option is there!

Unfortunately, I still can't seem to get the router and this ridiculous Fritzbox 7412 modem to talk to each other yet. But I'm one step closer!