What's new

VLAN tagging with stock firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Giuse1977

Occasional Visitor
Hi all
I definitely need a new router, as my AC56U with Merlin fw is at the end of its life (clients randomly loosing internet connection, web interface not reachable and so on). My setup is now made by a FritzBox 7530 is managing VDSL/VoIP/DECT (doesn’t support bridge, my VDSL provider does not support a second IP address on WAN, so no PPOE can be raised by my Asus) close to the only phone outlet of my flat, and the AC56U as main router, placed in a more central position for a better coverage. 7530 and AC56U are connected through a VLAN capable switch (Netgear GS108v3). Close to the 7530 (but connected to the switch on a different VLAN) I have a NAS, the TV and a small other server that need to be accessed by wireless devices from the Asus LAN subnet. So, basically, I need to trunk 2 VLANs between the 7530 and the AC56U..
I could choose between an AC86U (with Merlin support) and the AX92U (no Merlin support), price gap is not too high, but the latter being a little more future proof.
So, I am wondering: any chance to trunk two VLANs with ASUS firmware? May be using the IPTV settings??

Looking on this site, pppoe passthrough (ie bridge mode) is just a case of enabling it and then entering the incorrect login details on the fritzbox and the correct ones on your main router. full bridge mode achieved. (Can try it out shortly myself as I have a spare fritzbox 7530 in my drawer in the office).

Though you might be better off just getting the fritzbox homeplug mesh extenders rather than a 2nd router as the 7530 is a fair bit better than the asus anyway. (Not the higher spec asus models, but certainly what you're currently using)

Thanks for your answer.
Incorrect credentials will cut my VOIP out for sure, since is managed by Fritz. You’re not wrong with you suggestion of using a fritz mesh repeater.. but I am still using many functions of Merlin as Diversion and I don’t feel very comfortable with Fritz management interface.. and most of the settings are way too simplified (like guest networks)

I also had a 7530 with IPTV and VoIP on different VLAN.

Internet: VLAN 7
VoIP: VLAN 37
IPTV: VLAN 8

I bought an AX88U and a Draytek Vigor 165 modem to prevent double NAT ( ASUS behind 7530).

The 7530 is connected to the ASUS and degraded to a "DECT telephone station".

My IPTV receiver is also connected to the ASUS.

All 3 VLAN are configured with the mentioned "IP TV Settings" (manual settings).

Everything is working functional.

I actually don’t have any VLAN towards ISP side, no IPTV neither. My VLAN setup is behind the 7530 LAN side, mostly due to having only one cat6 cable running from the cabinet close to the 7530 (with also hosts some devices need to be accessed from ASUS wifi clients) and the center of my flat where asus is. So I need to use that cat6 cable to trunk both LAN and WAN subnet of the asus, WAN going to Fritz and LAN to the hosts, managed by a VLAN capable switch.
Just wondering if it can be done with the IPTV settings

The description "IPTV" is misleading.

If set to "manual config",you are able to configure different VLAN for Internet (WAN) and LAN Port 3 and 4.

But i think i misunderstood you.

If you are tagging the ports this way (IPTV settings) the traffic on this ports is directly trunked to the WAN Port.
So you are no more able to access the tagged port/subnet/devices from the ASUS.

Like my example:
The 7530 is connected on Port 4 with VLAN 37 to establish the VoIP connection.

I no longer have access from my home network to this device (directly trunked to WAN).
If I want to configure something I have to connect directly to the 7530

I ended purchasing the AC86U.. but now fighting against the VLAN setup that is not as straightforward as it was on the 56u. Thanks to everybody for answers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!