What's new

VLANs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diveblaster

Regular Contributor
Hi
I own two asus routers RT-AC66U and the GT-AC5300. Ive been running with merlin firmware since i bought my AC66U a couple of years ago. Sadly GT-AC5300 wont be touched by his magic :(
My questions are simple -
Can u config VLANs on my routers or is that only doable when u have flashed with merlin- and not asusfirmware? Or can u work with VLANs independant of firmware on both models?
Regards
Dive

Bump for answer

I believe vlans can be configured regardless of merlin's firmware. Just go to the tab and check if you can add it?

I believe vlans can be configured regardless of merlin's firmware. Just go to the tab and check if you can add it?
Asus and Merlin firmwares don't support VLANs so there is no tab for it. Perhaps you were thinking of VPNs?

Yeah couldnt find that tab but did find VPN :=)..so no use in searching more then. VLANs aint for these models.

I think Tomato firmware may have VLAN support. Never used it myself, don't know if it's available for your routers.

I think Tomato firmware may have VLAN support. Never used it myself, don't know if it's available for your routers.
Ty
I checked and that firmware didnt support the GT model either.

Maybe i can use the route function (TAB) in the router and fix VLANs with lvl 3 switch?

I don't think there's any third party firmware available for the GT-AC5300. Even the RT-AC86U is currently limited to only my firmware AFAIK (unless DD-WRT started working on the HND platform - I don't know).

These two models use a new network switch, with a completely different API from previous models. That means you can't use robocfg anymore on these.

Even the RT-AC86U is currently limited to only my firmware AFAIK

...... models use a new network switch, with a completely different API from previous models. That means you can't use robocfg anymore on these.

Clearly this limits the RT-68U->RT-86U H/W upgrade path for those with multiple VLANs configured on their existing RT-AC68U. :eek:

Clearly this limits the RT-68U->RT-86U H/W upgrade path for those with multiple VLANs configured on their existing RT-AC68U. :eek:

Unless someone can figure out the syntax of the new userspace tool provided by Broadcom. I believe someone on the forums posted a short guide a while ago as to how to configure VLANs with that new tool.

I'm slightly surprised that Asus didn't add VLAN support in the GUI when they went to HND. They seem so keen on adding useless features like IFTTT and WTFast, and yet VLANs are one of the most requested/discussed things on this forum. Oh well.

Unless someone can figure out the syntax of the new userspace tool provided by Broadcom. I believe someone on the forums posted a short guide a while ago as to how to configure VLANs with that new tool.

Ahh many thanks, found the post by @.T.T describing the ethctl tool.

P.S. Something to look forward to ( if Santa remembers ) to have a play - although I suspect taking down the network on Xmas day probably won't please the family/guests!:p

I'm slightly surprised that Asus didn't add VLAN support in the GUI when they went to HND. They seem so keen on adding useless features like IFTTT and WTFast, and yet VLANs are one of the most requested/discussed things on this forum. Oh well.
They did some vlan-related work these past months, but nothing was finalized so far, aside for maybe the vlan support for the BRT-AC828.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

They did some vlan-related work these past months, but nothing was finalized so far, aside for maybe the vlan support for the BRT-AC828.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Lets hope they realize this function because its a steep price and VLANs is a useful function these days when homes are filled with devices and stuff :=)

Lets hope they realize this function because its a steep price and VLANs is a useful function these days when homes are filled with devices and stuff :=)

Personally I think people would be better served with a real managed switch rather than having the router handle it.

I can only recommend that people let Asus know that they are interested in that feature. What makes it tricky to implement is they have different switches in different models, sometimes even two separate switches in the same model, like the RT-AC88U.

Personally I think people would be better served with a real managed switch rather than having the router handle it.

Well for some ISP networks vlan's are needed to replace ISP provided and limited hw.

I could figure ethctl usage out and test it, but I would need to aquire some hw first....

Last edited:
Well for some ISP networks vlan's are needed to replace ISP provided and limited hw.

I could figure ethctl usage out and test it, but I would need to aquire some hw first....

VLANs can be configured from the command line, if you know what to do, and of course Merlin's builds with support for /jffs/scripts makes it much easier to have scripts than run as required.

In this thread I explain (by the 3rd message) how I configured my RT-N66U to understand clients tagged with a "guest" VLAN, namely
- tell the router that not only can all the physical ports carry the default VLAN1 (tagged or untagged - VLAN1 doesn't mind), but that all the physical ports are also allowed to carry VLAN 4 if tagged appropriately
- create VLAN4
- bring VLAN4 up (I put this on it's own subnet but that's not strictly needed I think)
- iptables rules to allow VLAN4 packets out on the WAN
- configure dnsmasq to handle DHCP requests on VLAN4

This gives me a guest wifi on a wireless access point, which is what I needed (it may be that AIMesh when fully available makes all this redundant).
I don't know what you need to do with VLANs, but for client-side VLANs the scripts may offer some hints .. YMMV and I-am-not-a-VLAN-expert etc

--
Tim

In this thread I explain (by the 3rd message) how I configured my RT-N66U to understand clients tagged with a "guest" VLAN, namely

Your "guide" won't work on RT-AC86U, robocfg does not support HND chipset, hence it is useless in this case.
There is a new tool, ethctl, but apparently nobody does yet know, how to exactly use it.

I do know how to configure vlan's with robocfg on WAN or LAN side.

Your "guide" won't work on RT-AC86U, robocfg does not support HND chipset, hence it is useless in this case.
There is a new tool, ethctl, but apparently nobody does yet know, how to exactly use it.

I do know how to configure vlan's with robocfg on WAN or LAN side.

Ah sorry, I'll pull my head in :)

Cheers

Tim

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!