What's new

Voxel FW use local DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kpnobvious

New Around Here
Hi,

I am running V1.0.2.72SF firmware on a R7800 and looking to change the DNS server for my local lan devices to an internal server.

I updated dnsmasq.conf to add a line at the bottom:
dhcp-option=6,<local ip>

This isn't working and queries from clients are still being sent to the router which is resolving them from the list in /etc/resolv.conf. I suspect dnsmasq is not providing DHCP

I think my options are as follows and would appreciate any input:
1. Don't use the R7800 as a DHCP server
2. Update resolv.conf with my local DNS (which i believe would make all DNS as entries as coming from the router and not the actual client). This would be the same as editing it in the UI
3. Possibly change dhcp settings as referenced here - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-wifi-router-login-dns-relay.50389/
4. Add the line server=<local IP> to dnsmasq.conf. I think this will still show the router's IP as client.

Thanks

FYI, I answered my own question. I made the change referenced in #3 where i edited the option dns setting under print_dhcpd_conf() in net-lan and pointed that internally.

Thanks

Thanks for this. It works very well!

I changed the option to - option dns $(echo "192.168.1.15") - in the "/etc/init.d/net-lan" file, and that works great. DHCP assigns my PiHole (192.168.1.15) as the default DNS server now, instead of forwarding the queries.

I signed up just to add this comment

Thanks for this. It works very well!

I changed the option to - option dns $(echo "192.168.1.15") - in the "/etc/init.d/net-lan" file, and that works great. DHCP assigns my PiHole (192.168.1.15) as the default DNS server now, instead of forwarding the queries.

I signed up just to add this comment

Man, this had been driving me crazy. I am still at the edge of just letting pihole handle dhcp...just when you think you're done.

Thank you very much!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!