What's new

Voxel Voxel's firmware for Orbi RBK50 system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

[QUOTE = "Voxel, Beitrag: 360084, Mitglied: 35038"] Gibt es Interesse daran? Ich meine mein optimierter Build von benutzerdefinierter Firmware für Orbi RBK50? Mit demselben Upgrade von alten Paketen, genaueren Compiler-Optionen, Beschleunigung von OpenSSL usw.

Voxel. [/ QUOTE]
yes is great

I would be very interested to use your firmware on my RBK50.

Really hoping that you go there!

Voxel, if you'd make this offer over in the Netgear Orbi forum (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi), I'm sure that you'd get a lot of takers *smile*. Not sure about the politics of that, or what your current relationship is with Netgear. Just a thought, though. Generally, I think that Netgear is not averse to third-party firmware. And their firmware is, as you know, under GPL.

Well, my relationship with Netgear is limited to my contacts with NETGEAR Guy who IMO is really interested in improvements of Netgear production (firmware) but nobody else from Netgear is interested in getting contact with me to reuse my improvements and ideas in their stock FW. Ignoring all my attempts to get contacts with Netgear.

And to say true this offer was because:

(a) I think I am able to do that and (at least currently) I am able to do that only for RBK50. Why not for other products like EX8000: maybe I’ll share details later, main reason is above.​

(b) I do not know the popularity of this Orbi RBK50 and while only three guys like my offer, right?​

(c) And last, I do not have any Orbi and I just asked NETGEAR Guy is it possible to get this unit from Netgear for my work, if there is an interest of Orbi owners. Awaiting a reply from him. In past he was so kind to pass me R9000 for my work. Maybe Orbi too. IMO it is in interest of Netgear first of all.​

I am not registered in official Netgear forums. So if you are, you can point this my thread to Orbi owners. To show their interest to this if any.

And their firmware is, as you know, under GPL.
Funny :)

Voxel.

I'm not sure why only 2 or 3 people replied here, it may just be that people aren't looking for this at the moment...I know that many more would be interested if it were available. I could mention it myself on the Orbi forum on Netgear, to see what the response is there. Netgear has been quite liberal about allowing discussions of 3rd party firmware in the past on their forums, so I don't foresee a problem with that.

Is there any interest on this? I mean my optimized build of custom firmware for Orbi RBK50? With the same upgrade of old packages, more proper compiler options, acceleration of OpenSSL etc.

Voxel.

I sold my RBK50 because of instability and fooling with it for 9 months. Switched to eero in Dec 2017 and have never had an issue since.

Last edited:
Hey i would be very like to use your firmware on my Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System / RBK53 system :)

I am also interested - thank you for considering the project!

Seeing interest on the Netgear Orbi forum in response to my posting, as well.

OK, there is some interest.

Just FYI: according to my conversation with NETGEAR Guy there is no spare kit currently available. So there could be delay with my build for Orbi.

Voxel.

I just made this account to say that I am very interested. I got one of these kits for a heavy discount, will be giving to my parents and maintaining for them.

OK, more replies here will show real interest to this to be shown to NETGEAR. It is also interesting for NETGEAR Guy to know real interest to the theme.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!