What's new

VPN between two Asus routers w/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lomity

New Around Here
My first post but this site has been a great reference. I have two Asus RT-AC68U routers set up in an openVPN client/server setup on Merlin FW. It has worked great until now & I cannot figure out what has gone wrong.
- On the server side, I exported an ovpn file & imported it to another Asus router as a client. The client connects to the server but traffic is not re-routed. If I set 'accept DNS config' to Exclusive on the client, I lose web access altogether.
- I can connect from my iphone/ipad using the ovpn config file & Open VPN app and can access the Asus router (server) with no issues. My IP address changes & traffic redirects correctly.

I've spent >6 hours on this, reset the client side router to default & re-imported the ovpn file, tried every setting, etc, searched the web for answers, etc. Again, cannot understand why it works perfect from my iphone/ipad but the Asus router (client) will not connect to the Asus router (server side).

Any ideas or settings I may have missed?

My first post but this site has been a great reference. I have two Asus RT-AC68U routers set up in an openVPN client/server setup on Merlin FW. It has worked great until now & I cannot figure out what has gone wrong.
- On the server side, I exported an ovpn file & imported it to another Asus router as a client. The client connects to the server but traffic is not re-routed. If I set 'accept DNS config' to Exclusive on the client, I lose web access altogether.
- I can connect from my iphone/ipad using the ovpn config file & Open VPN app and can access the Asus router (server) with no issues. My IP address changes & traffic redirects correctly.

I've spent >6 hours on this, reset the client side router to default & re-imported the ovpn file, tried every setting, etc, searched the web for answers, etc. Again, cannot understand why it works perfect from my iphone/ipad but the Asus router (client) will not connect to the Asus router (server side).

Any ideas or settings I may have missed?

Hopefully you have examined the Syslog on the RT-AC68U server to see if the client RT-AC68U is actually getting to the server?

If DDNS is working, you should be able to verify this by comparing the OpenVPN client log on the iPhone/iPad with what appears in the Syslog of the client RT-AC68U, or try temporarily using the IP of your server.

Without any log info it is difficult to diagnose apart from checking the usual suspects, Port/Protocol/LZO