What's new

VPN blocking inbound traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AceCubed

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this, if not please let me know and I'll repost in a better spot.

I'm having some issues setting up some servers on my home network. I won't get into too much detail but I can provide some if asked. In short: I think my VPN is preventing inbound connections and I'm not sure how to fix that.

I'm using an RT-AC66U router with Merlin firmware and the administration pages have been moved off port 80. I've got a VPN service with Private Internet Access that's configured using the openvpn client section of the router. The router also has SSH enabled with optware and nginx installed. I have a few servers and I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy to redirect traffic to the appropriate ports and port forwarding to direct everything to the right machines. I am allowing port 443 and 80 traffic in using IPTABLES.

If I have my VPN turns off in the VPN client settings, everything works fine. My reverse proxy uses my subdomain to redirect to the right ports and my port forwarding sends everything to the right local machines. I couldn't be happier. Enable the VPN, however, and both my router and nginx cease even getting inbound traffic (logs are empty, nothing blocked, nothing rerouted, nothing registered). So it seems to me that if my VPN is on, inbound traffic to my WAN IP is just blocked.

I'm relatively new to VPNs, maybe this is working as intended. I'm not sure if it's even possible to have a reverse proxy and a VPN running at the same time, but I'm hoping I can make it work somehow. Feel free to educate me if I'm attempting the impossible.

Thanks for your time.