What's new

VPN build. Asus/pfsense/3th option. Help please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bjur

Occasional Visitor
Hi I have just replaced my AC66U with a AC88U which should be running PIA VPN. Have just found out I can't use it because it doesn't have hardware acceleration so speeds are not good.
Would a Intel NUC8i3BEK have AES-NI support so I could buy that and use for pfsense or what should I do?

I have 1000/100 mbps but on AC88U I can only get 50-60 mbps. I would like at least 2-300 mbps.

I also have a AMD A8-7600 machine, but speeds there with W10 are max. 100 mbps.

Requirements are:

Fast speed with VPN
Low power consumption

Extra network cards should also be purchased.

What can you guys recommend?

Thanks Merlin. I just didn't know it was something Intel has created, so that should be powerfull enough.
Are there any other options I should consider instead?

Thanks Merlin. I just didn't know it was something Intel has created, so that should be powerfull enough.
Are there any other options I should consider instead?

If the goal is to run pfsense, look into a fanless computer like the Qotom's. They come with multiple Intel-based NICs, and they are fanless, so they might be more interesting solutions for routing.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Qotom&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I purchased a Qotom box to use as a VPN appliance and it works very well processing OpenVPN at almost line speed on my 225/12 ISP connection. A couple of suggestions:

1. Be sure that the processor you select is AES-NI capable. Don't skimp on the processor. I selected an I7 processor which is overkill for a VPN appliance, but I wanted the flexibility if I decided to use the Qotom for a desktop PC it would perform well.

2. If you are planning to run pfsense make the purchase option to have it preloaded on the Qotom.

3. Look for a good manual for the version pfsense you end up using as the learning curve for setting it up is steep. While there are many YouTube videos that may help they are only useful if they are for the version you have installed. Getting everything working the way you want will take more than just a few hours unless you are a seasoned pfsense user.

4. You probably will need either an HDMI monitor or a TV with an HDMI port as the initial part of the pfsense setup is done in the console mode. You also will probably need a USB keyboard to plug into the Qotom when in the console mode.

I have 1000/100 mbps but on AC88U I can only get 50-60 mbps. I would like at least 2-300 mbps.

No matter haw fast your hardware is, most VPN servers don't go over 200Mbps. I've found some NordVPN servers going over 250mbps (RT-AC86U router, good for up to 270Mbps), but a few local ones only in the same city, one only managed to hit for a short period of time 350Mbps (on a x86 hardware). So, basically for VPN Client you don't need anything more than a RT-AC86U router, it is going to cover the speeds of most VPN servers around. This is what we can get for $5/month VPN subscription, I guess.

pfSense or Untagle* box (or even Linux machine) is definitely better than any consumer router, no question about it. Not only for VPN, but as configuration options, packet inspection, QoS, etc. Not as user friendly to setup though and more expensive. I used to run VPN Client on the router, but not anymore. Running separate clients on x86 hardware now. Easier to manage when I'm not around.

* - take a look at Untangle. It's not free ($50/year for home version), but it's really good and much easier to setup/understand than pfSense. I personally like the interface better, the apps available and the packet inspection capabilities. It's a top quality software.
Live Demo here - http://demo.untangle.com/admin/index.do

Last edited: