What's new

VPN client on excluded device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biniecki

New Around Here
I have a ASUS AC68U running merlin firmware. I have the router setup to connect to an OpenVPN sever and have a policy in place to exclude my Amazon TV. I excluded the Amazon TV because I use Playstation Vue on it and they do not support the use of VPN with their service.

I would still like to use VPN on this device when not using PS Vue. I have the possibility of still side loading a VPN client onto the Amazon TV if I wanted. My question is if I sideload the client and connect to the VPN with client software on the device would the router still exclude it?

EDIT:
I don't know why i didn't think of this earlier. If I used the client software to connect to a different server than the one the router is connected to I think it should work. Am I right with this thought?

Last edited:
I have a ASUS AC68U running merlin firmware. I have the router setup to connect to an OpenVPN sever and have a policy in place to exclude my Amazon TV. I excluded the Amazon TV because I use Playstation Vue on it and they do not support the use of VPN with their service.

I would still like to use VPN on this device when not using PS Vue. I have the possibility of still side loading a VPN client onto the Amazon TV if I wanted. My question is if I sideload the client and connect to the VPN with client software on the device would the router still exclude it?

EDIT:
I don't know why i didn't think of this earlier. If I used the client software to connect to a different server than the one the router is connected to I think it should work. Am I right with this thought?
yes

Based on my experience if you are running a VPN on a device and connect to your router running a VPN the results are hit and miss but mostly miss. It seems some VPN providers don't like or don't support a double VPN. If your VPN on the connected device is from a different provider it may be more likely to work.