What's new

VPN Client policy rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hollywood

New Around Here
I have a RT-AX58U and a RT-AX88U and these both have this issue.
I have installed the current Merlin firmware and I setup under VPN>VPN Client>OpenVPN my VPN service PrivateVPN with an LA, Calif server under Client 1. I did the same for Client 2 but with a Vancouver Canada server. I can set Service State to ON for one and the other OFF and vice versa and it switches servers like I expect.

My issue is that if I set "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down", the internet is blocked because of that setting even though that "Client 1" is off. So basically if I want to switch VPN servers I need to turn off that client AND disable that setting too (even if that Client is set to OFF).

Am I not using this properly or is it a bug that a setting on an client set to OFF is stopping access. I'm probably not understanding this as I don't see where you would have more then one Client set to ON at a time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a RT-AX58U and a RT-AX88U and these both have this issue.
I have installed the current Merlin firmware and I setup under VPN>VPN Client>OpenVPN my VPN service PrivateVPN with an LA, Calif server under Client 1. I did the same for Client 2 but with a Vancouver Canada server. I can set Service State to ON for one and the other OFF and vice versa and it switches servers like I expect.

My issue is that if I set "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down", the internet is blocked because of that setting even though that "Client 1" is off. So basically if I want to switch VPN servers I need to turn off that client AND disable that setting too (even if that Client is set to OFF).

Am I not using this properly or is it a bug that a setting on an client set to OFF is stopping access. I'm probably not understanding this as I don't see where you would have more then one Client set to ON at a time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
see KILL-switch Confused as to how to make the kill switch work if you have the same Selective Routing devices defined in both VPN Clients.

I remember RMerlin once said that this is how it works, because the router does not know if it was manually turned off or accidentally disconnected.

Edit: found it!
2) This is by design. OpenVPN itself cannot really distinguish between a manual and an unintentional disconnect, which is why I decided to go for the safer option, which is to always assume that if the tunnel goes down, then traffic should still be blocked.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!