What's new

VPN Client Redirect Internet traffic speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhups

Occasional Visitor
I have set up a VPN client to IPVanish on my router with Redirect Internet traffic policy rules selected for specific devices.
When running Speedtests on devices which have traffic redirected, the speedtest results do not exceed 15mbps.

When running the VPN client direct from IPVanish, I get speeds up to 42mbps.

What are your speeds on the router with Redirect Internet traffic policy rules on your devices?

I want to use my NAS box as a proxy server, and with speeds of upto 15mbps, it's a painful browsing experience.

Is the speed limit bottleneck with IPVanish or with the redirect function in the router?

Some tests will put my mind to rest.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You didn't specify which router you are using. Most of the time, the router's CPU is the bottleneck.

My bad.
Its the RT-AC66U

that sounds about right for the router when I do vpn redirect on the same router i dont get much more then 8mbit

have to agree if you want speed over vpn on a router you need more grunt from the cpu and that means upgrading to the 88u or rt-3100 to get you anywhere close to the 42mbps speed

Level of encryption and geo distance from vpn server also are factors from my testing. The CPU on my AC88U and pfSense box bounce between 5 to 12 percent when streaming 4K video over my tunnel. Try changing to no encryption, 128 and 256 to see the difference as well as server location. I use SHA1.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!