What's new

VPN clients cannot talk to wifi-connected LAN hosts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ERamseth

New Around Here
Hi all-

I have been pulling my hair out over this.

I have OpenVPN server set up on asus merlin. Everything works fine and the clients that connect can connect, can ping and talk to WIRED LAN hosts, but cannot talk to Wifi-connected LAN hosts.

Any ideas?

LAN = 192.168.11.0
VPN = 10.8.0.0

Can ping and connect to LAN hosts that are WIRED

Can ping and connect to the router

CanNOT ping or connect to wifi-connected LAN devices

Have tried adding static routes. Have tried various VPN configs (including push "route 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0")

Nothing seems to work.

Can confirm that non-VPN LAN wifi hosts can talk to each other.

Can confirm that non-VPN wired hosts can talk to non-VPN wifi hosts.

I think maybe it's something with bridging? Not sure. Any help would be great.

Are you using guest WiFi networks, or any third-party scripts that effect VPN or WiFi (like YazFi)?

As the OP already suggests, this sounds like a bridging problem. Normally both the wired and wireless clients are bridged (br0), and so this can't/shouldn't happen. And it's not like you can just accidentally specify some wrong value in a field and have it happen. It has to be deliberate.

Did you perhaps recently do a firmware update without doing a factory reset and manually reconfiguring? Failing to do so can often produce weird behavior.

I would reset the router to factory defaults and manually reconfigure.

Last edited:
No scripts and I think I did a reset the last time I installed. Either way I guess I can reinstall fresh. Need to upgrade anyway (although I didn't see anything about this specifically in the changelog).