What's new

Solved VPN clients timing out and not connecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cityhorizon

Occasional Visitor
I just set up a VPN Server on AX88U to be usd for connecting with my home LAN when out of the house.
The following client ovpn minus the ca was generated:

# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote skylight.citysky.com 6874
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
auth SHA256
keepalive 15 60
remote-cert-tls server

The clients are however failing to connect to the server. All the clients I have tested on iPad/iPhone and Windows are timing out. Is anyone able to help me with suggestions? This is my first time of setting up the router as a VPN Server. Thanks.

You need to provide a dump of the syslog (server and client). That's were normally all the information about what's happening during the connection attempt is made available.

Last edited:
How are you testing those devices? From within the network, or when outside of it?

The thread is currently marked "solved". ???

How are you testing those devices? From within the network, or when outside of it?
Many thanks for your help. I found out that cloudflare was proxing my DDNS but as soon as I removed that, the devices were able to conect to the OpenVPN server.