What's new

VPN [Con]Fusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Having just moved back to the official firmware, from Merlin, I see that there are a lot of new features, especially concerning VPNs. Now I know how to set up a Wireguard VPN server on my router and how to use it to access my home network when I'm not at home, but I'm somewhat confused about the new ASUS VPN Fusion and Instant Guard. Am I right in thinking that these work in the opposite direction to the situation I mentioned above, viz., they are used for outgoing connection from the home network, rather than incoming connections to the home network from outside? Also, what is the difference between VPN Fusion and Instant Guard? If I wanted to set up VPN Fusion using Wireguard, what would I need to do and what additional security would it offer over just using the normal internet connection and setting my DNS resolvers to use Cloudflare with DoT (as I have done already)? One final thought, I do have some time left on a Surfshark subcription, so which would likely be better, Wireguard or Surfshark?

Sorry for all the questions. I have had a look at the ASUS articles, but I'm still not clear what these new features have to offer or how to set them up.

Last edited:
No longer relevant to me - my RT-AX88U Pro was faulty, so I've returned it for a refund and I am now using the ISP-supplied router (FRITZ!Box 7530 AX), for the time being at least.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!